Tuesday, March 27, 2007

September 8, 2006

Hey Everyone,
Quick note before I have to get chores started. Last night I took the boys to our quarterly enrichment meeting ("Understanding Depression," it was very good), and on the way home Brigham said the sweetest thing ever! He said (and this is word for word), "I hate it, uh, I don't like it when Joseph get's in a time out." (We've had discussions on when it is appropriate to use the word "hate," apparently he's thinking about it!). I said, "Why not Brigham?" "Because I really like Joseph and I always want to be with him." Aaawwww... Isn't that sweet?

We're hanging in here without Ben. He gets back late late tomorrow night, so just a couple more days. I've actually been able to be somewhat productive while he's been gone, so I hope he's impressed!

My boys are still somewhat bummed about Steve Erwin. Me too, frankly. I was talking to my friend about it yesterday and I got to thinking about all the other celebrities I would have rather seen meet this particular fate. Not that I wish *death* on anyone, but you know what I mean. There are SO few public figures that I can actually point to as a role model for my children, and he was one of them. I'm trying to think of ANY other public figures outside of him and Jeff Corwin that I wouldn't mind my boys looking up to. Certainly no athletes or actors or musicians at this point. Or politicians. Church leaders, certainly, but somehow they don't have the magnetic appeal that a man who wrestles crocodiles has.
Steve Erwin was really a remarkable guy. An obviously proud family man (his wife has been part of his show since the beginning I believe), committed and passionate about an honorable work and cause (conservation and protecting wildlife), and just an unbelievable charismatic and fun guy to watch!! His death is a real loss to children and families everywhere. How many other shows can you think of that are appropriate and enjoyable for an entire family to watch together? His and Jeff Corwin's are the only ones I can think of. Any other shows are either not appropriate for little children or else are torturous for adults to sit through. As I've said before, Animal Planet is now the only channel I let my kids watch. Disney just has too many shows with messages, subtle or blatant, that I do not want to teach my children. And other kids channels have too many shows that are just plain crude and rude and the MOST obnoxious commercials that basically brainwash children into being greedy little materialistic monsters. No thanks. Animal Planet is a wonderful channel and there is no show or commercial that I cringe at. And now the guy who pretty much made Animal Planet the success it is, has died, and it is such a loss.
Sigh... That's the way life goes, I know. But it still sucks.

Ok, off to get this day started. Laundry today!!!

No comments: