Tuesday, March 27, 2007

August 12, 2006

Hey everyone,
I'm typing with one hand and one finger tonight because of a stupid accident. I was in the garage doing a maternity photoshoot for my friend pregnant with twins and I was moving my light stand when I accidentally knocked into a large mirror I sometimes use, which was leaning against my stage. The mirror does not have finished edges, it is just square cut glass. Anyway, I reflexively reached down to catch it before it hit the ground, and cut myself real deep right where my little finger joins my palm. I instantly knew it was not good. But I ran inside and wrapped it up real tight in a hand towel and taped it tight, and then finished the photoshoot. I'm no hero, I just knew there was no point in going to the ER with 3 kids in tow, and I would be waiting till Ben got home anyway. So anyway when Ben got home he looked up all the nearby urgent care centers (I hadn't even thought of that, duh...), called them all and found the one with the shortest wait time. What a guy, huh? It was actually really great. After signing in and filling out the paperwork, I waited probably 5 minutes before I was called back. I hoped maybe I could get away with dermabond, but no such luck. It was too deep, ragged (how? the mirror was very straight. guess my hand must have been partly curled when I grabbed it), and right at the joint, all of which were disqualifying factors for dermabond. But 5 stitches later, a tetnus shot and an antibiotic prescription, I'm almost good as new. Also there was no tendon damage, and I'll get the stitches out in 10 days. And it was my left hand, so that's good too. And yet another time when I am glad I saved my leftover darvocet from my c-section!!
But anyway, if I'm scarce via email the next few days, that's why. It has taken me a while just to type this much, so I'll probably not write much more until I get some dexterity in my hand back.
But life is good, the boys are excited for school to start, and I'll be sure to tell you all about their first day (plus pictures!) sometime next week.

I'll leave you with some pictures of the maternity session that caused so much hassle! Isn't she beautiful carrying those precious twins??

















No comments: