Tuesday, March 27, 2007

October 26, 2006

Hello Everyone,
Just a short whine here at the beginning. I am getting sick, I woke up with a sore throat and headache. And I was just ambushed by fatigue. After getting the boys up and to school, I crashed in the boys' room while Mosey played for about 3 hours. Then after getting the boys from school and getting homework done, I crashed for another 2.5 hours on the couch while they watched a Batman DVD they got at the library yesterday. Bad mommy. It is hard to describe the fatigue I feel. It is just overwhelming and I can't fight it. It feels just like taking a sleeping pill or something. I have no physical energy whatsoever, and it just pulls me under. I hate it, but don't know what to do. I've been getting pretty ok sleep recently. Could be better I guess, but 7-8 hours is nothing to sneeze at. Anyway, it is very frustrating.

We still don't know for sure about moving. Now Ben's current company is saying they won't have a final counteroffer until next Tuesday. Meanwhile the Austin people have been waiting more than 3 weeks and I'm sure they are getting pretty anxious to hear a definite yes or no. We are operating under the assumption that we are going to Austin, but still I would like to have some finality about it.

The boys seem to be perfectly ok about moving. But a few things they have said have pulled at my heart strings a little. Today Joseph was looking at his treasured batman watch and he said, "Maybe I'll give this to Bryson so he doesn't forget me." What a sweet thing to say, but boy that stung me! They are just now starting to really make friends and my mother-instincts are really protesting about ripping from this home of theirs, where most of their memories are now centered. I think they have some vague memories of California still, but they were only 2.5 when we left and I know those memories are fading. But they are only 5 and logically I know that moving at this point will not cause any scarring and really very little distress at all.

I wish I could get my scanner to work. Brigham is really coming along in his artwork. It is the first thing he wants to do in the morning, the first thing he does after school, and several times before bed he has just *had* to draw one more thing. When Joseph is watching Animal Planet, Brigham is working on his artwork. I really need to help Joseph find something that draws him as much as drawing does for Brigham (excuse the pun!). The other day he drew a picture of a house on fire at the top of the paper, and then down at the bottom he drew a fire truck. Between the two, he drew an array of various shapes. When I asked him about it, he pointed to a bunch of letters he wrote at the very bottom and translated for me, "Follow the triangles," meaning you're supposed to draw a line from the fire truck, connecting the triangles, until you get to the burning house. Not only were the pictures really good, but I just laughed at his writing. In the boys' kindergarten class, they are teaching them to write phonetically, spelling what they hear. This can be interesting just because English spelling constantly breaks phonetic rules, but is made more interesting by the fact that Brigham still has some leftover mispronunciations from learning to talk. So what I actually saw on the paper was this: "Fowoduchigls." He has trouble separating the words when he writes, so I suppose it should be "Fowo du chigls." Or in Brigham talk "Fah-wo duh chi-gulls," or "Follow the triangles." It was cool though, because often on his drawings I'll see an array of letters like that and I just figure he is practicing his writing. Now I realize he is actually probably trying to write actual words! I'll have to go back through them and try and decipher what he is saying.

Yesterday I had a newborn photo shoot and it was so fun! The last couple of photo shoots I've had, I've ended up very frustrated with myself for some dumb mistake I shouldn't have made. So I was nervous this time to see how I did. I tried to pay attention during the shoot, but you never really know until you upload the pictures and take a look. So I didn't upload them right away yesterday, sometimes it helps me to have a little space before immediately starting to beat myself up. But I uploaded them and I am so happy! No glaring obvious mistakes! Obviously some dud shots, but mostly due to exposure error which I caught and then corrected in the next frame, or else strange expressions and just a few focusing problems, which I attribute to the pretty accurate but not infallible auto-focus of my camera and lens. So I took 239 shots, which is way too many I know, but last time I was just so dismayed by some of the dumb mistakes I made, I wanted to make sure I ended up with enough to work from. I try to aim for 50-60 working proofs. But now I have about 125 shots that I love and I don't know how to narrow them down! I might just have to proof them all. Happily, since I didn't make any huge mistakes, my processing time ought to be cut way down. The other problem is that I have such a hard time deciding on color or black and white, that I end up processing most shots twice-- one for color and the other for black and white. But if I do that, I'll be presenting 250 proofs and that is just crazy. Too overwhelming for clients to go through that many proofs, and opposite of what you might expect, there is a point where the more proofs you present, the less your final order is. So I'm going to sleep on it tonight and then go through them again tomorrow and try to be ruthless and narrow down the pictures to maybe 75 max.

I'll attach just a couple from the first 8 that I proofed tonight.

Ok, off to bed now. We have such a busy weekend with 2 birthday parties and the ward Trunk-or-Treat, that I really must get my housework done tomorrow since I'll have no time on Saturday.

No comments: