Thursday, March 29, 2007

January 17, 2007

Hey all,
The last two days have been cold and rainy! An arctic front blew in and pushed the temps down below freezing. Brrrrrr!!!
The unpacking is coming along, slowly but surely. I'm trying to unpack everything in a very organized way, so that also takes extra time.
The boys are doing well, enjoying school thank goodness. Brigham has already been invited to TWO birthday parties! He went to the first a couple days ago at a gymnastics place, but the other we couldn't go to because it was on Sunday. So, I guess that partially makes up for the 3 parties Joseph was invited to, and the 0 Brigham was invited to at our old school.
Ben bought Mosey 2 "Fur-real friends" for his birthday-- a puppy and a kitten. Mosey LOVES them. He has been carrying them around with him everywhere, sleeping with them, eating with them, taking them with him to hte bathroom, etc. He has named them "Puppy" and "Kitty-cat." LOL. He tells me when they are hungry and thirsty ("Mom, kitty cat is hungry for peanut butter." "Mom, puppy is thirsty for milk.") He is so cute.
The sleeping is still not going that great, but hopefully that will improve. They are having trouble settling down at night, and consequently keeping each other up. I've had to get after them to the point where they are all pretty upset before they will settle down, which bothers me. The last two nights I've had to lay down by Mosey just to keep him in his bed and quiet. Ugh. I know it's all just an adjustment, but I wish they were adjusted already!
Not too much more to report as of now. I'm trying to keep the stress of my disorganized house at bay, realizing that slowly things will all get put away, but it is hard at times. It's hard to clean when there are boxes everywhere, and the messiness of the house is starting to get to me. This afternoon I'm going to try to at least sweep around boxes and things.
Right now the boys are looking at their old scrapbooks and having a great time, which is inspiring me to also get back to work updating their scrapbooks. I am shamefully behind.

Today is actually our second "snow day" in a row. Actually it did snow briefly yesterday, but mostly it's been freezing rain. Apparently this is a very rare cold snap-- like once in 10 years or so. Average this time of year is 60. But it's been below freezing for 3 days in a row and I HATE it!! This is why I don't live in winter states! I haven't left the house since church on Sunday and I'm getting major cabin fever. But the van is completely encased in ice and even if I could de-ice it, I'm not brave enough to drive under these conditions. Plus the trees in the front of our house are all iced over and the branches are pretty much blocking any exit from our driveway!
I've pretty much finished unpacking the house. I need to figure out what to do with Ben's boxes of old work stuff (throw it away?), but pretty much it is done which is very nice.
The boys have been pretty good considering they have been house-bound for so long. But I got a call yesterday from Joseph's and Brigham's primary teacher telling me about an "incident" on Sunday. It really has me feeling sick. Joseph apparently got angry during opening exercises and ended up throwing his chair down, and then running away. Her husband (who co-teaches with her) went after him, but Joseph wouldn't cooperate for 25 minutes until another teacher came and talked him into coming back to class.
I'm so sad because Joseph has always done really well in primary. I talked to him a little bit yesterday and he was mad becuase he says the teachers "lied," because last week they said they'd bring treats, but then this week they didn't. I talked to Joseph about the difference between lying and making a mistake or just forgetting, or changing plans, and then told him that more importantly, that kind of behavior is unacceptable. I will talk to him more about it, for sure. I just wish he had a natural built-in healthy fear of adults and authority figures! Any suggestions anyone? I plan to tell him that the thing I am most proud of him and Brigham is their good behavior in school and church. That I am also proud that he is a smart and talented boy, but mostly I am proud of him when he is a good boy and does what Jesus would want him to do. That it makes me sad and disappointed when he doesn't choose the right. But talk is cheap, and I probably need to add in some positive reinforcement. Maybe special lunches with mom or dad when they have a whole month of good behavior at school and church? I'm not sure.
Anyway, I went out and took some pictures of the ice this morning. I took a couple yesterday of the boys but haven't edited those yet, so just nature for today.

Love,
Gabrielle and the snow-boys

ice-coated back lawn

ice-coated branches




The live-oaks looking decidedly less lively!


Pretty, isn't it?


line of icicles downt he back of our house

ivy leaves coated with ice. Weird cuz they're still so green!

More ice on the live oak trees. The ice has weighed the boughs down so much they actually block both entrances of our circular driveway. Not that we could get in our van, as it is also coated with a quarter inch of ice!




No comments: