Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No-sugar November

My younger sister Naomi has been doing "No-sugar November" for a few years now. I've always thought she was nuts (and I still kind of do), but this year I decided to join her. I have very few ways in which to really physically challenge myself. I used to run and work out, and those were great ways of developing physical self-discipline. But now I can't do that and I realized I missed having a physical challenge. So I decided to try it.
I'm not being very strict. Maybe next year I'll be more strict. I've banned myself from all "gratuitous" sugar (desserts, candy, sugary cereal, etc.), but not from other natural forms of sugar like fruit and grains. I did sprinkle sugar on grapefruit last week and felt like I should call my sister to confess. :-)
I hoped I'd be able to report how great I feel cutting out gratuitous sugar, but sadly I cannot. I'd probably have to eliminate all refined carbohydrates and I really have zero desire to do that.
I haven't lost any weight (I haven't been trying to, but I'm too female to ever get to the point where I wouldn't be a little happy about losing a pound or two), and I think it's probably because when I get that sugar craving, I'll try to fill it with something else. But really, I just want something sweet, so I'll end up eating more of the non-sweet thing to satisfy (Weight Watchers says that when you have a craving, you should fill it, but in moderation, because otherwise you will eat "around" your craving and end up eating more points than if you just ate what you wanted in the first place, and I think it is true!). I guess avoiding this trap ought to have been part of the discipline I've been trying to exercise!
My sister gives herself Thanksgiving as a vacation day, and then goes back to no-sugar for the rest of the month. But Thanksgiving is close enough to the end of the month, that I'm calling it quits then. It's one thing to forego all your kids leftover Halloween candy, but leftover Thanksgiving pie? I don't think so! I'll try not to go too crazy, though.
I read somewhere that the average weight-gain over the holidays is 7 pounds. Wow! So even if I have not lost weight, at least I have eliminated the post-Halloween candy gorge from my holiday caloric total.
I admit to being pretty freaked out about gaining weight. It used to not be such a huge deal, because I could just add a 2 or 3 miles to my daily run and in a couple of weeks I could lose a couple of pounds. But now? A pound of fat is something like 3500 calories. So if I want to lose even 1 pound, I can't do it by running for an hour 5 days a week (roughly 3500 calories at my weight), something that used to be no big deal. Now I have to eliminate 3500 calories only by cutting out food, which would be about 1/3 of the calories I eat in a whole week. It's hard to cut down what you're eating by 1/3, and maintain that for any length of time. I'd much, much rather exercise.
I keep reminding myself that it is easier to stay the weight I am than to try to lose it later so I'm trying very hard to stay disciplined.
Ben's lost about 20 pounds in the past year-- impressive, huh? He wants to lose about 5 more, I think, and he's started jogging at night. I'm jealous. Very, very, very jealous.
When I got home from the hospital last year, the reality of my future life began to settle in a little bit. The 2 years previous had been filled with one change after another, and I never got a chance to really adjust and accept my new realities. So after the transplant was over and my life was settling down into something slightly resembling normalcy and stability, my new limitations had a chance to sink in.
Ben took me on some walks in the wheelchair around our neighborhood. We live near a beautiful golf course that meanders around through our neighborhood. There are walking and jogging trails through the golf course, and even just on the streets, the big old shady oak trees and quiet windy roads in our area are ideal for running. It was hard for me to accept that I will never go running again. It still is.
Ok, that is quite enough self-pity for one night! I'm going to go to bed and wake up tomorrow and be incredibly grateful for everything that I *can* do and forget about the things I can't.
And I'm looking forward to one week from tomorrow!!! Freedom!!! Pumpkin pie!!!

5 comments:

Rosalynde said...

I'm loving your daily posts in November! I know it's time-consuming, though.

Let me know what kind of treats you want me to have for you on Thanksgiving. I can't wait!

Mama said...

OK, that's it -- next year I'm ON for No-sugar November! And here's a quote I read this morning in our local newspaper:
"In our daily lives we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy." -Albert Clarke (never heard of him but what he said is true)
I love you so much, dear daughter --

Jen said...

I've done the no sugar thing before myself and it's really hard! Not how I would want to live my life forever (or even a month). Good for you!

inside voice said...

oh, gabrielle, i wish you and i could change situations. i wish i coul dgive my ability to run to you, who would appreciate it so much more than i do. i wish that i could relieve you of you restraints, take them myself and you can have my legs! oh, i wish!

Naomi said...

Gabrielle, I've had to confess to you too--I had a granola bar this morning--definitely suspect for No-Sugar November. I've been good about not having overt forms of sugar, but I've also been letting myself have fruit-based sugar and other things that don't seem dessert-y. Oh well. Every year I get a little better--this is the first year that I will have gone entirely without sugar-free candy :).