Sunday, June 17, 2012

06/16/2012

1.  3 trips to Lowes in one day is too many.  :-)  First trip was to the Leander Lowes to pick up a kitchen faucet (changed our mind and decided to go with brushed nickel instead of black), microwave, and dishwasher hookup stuff.  Second trip was to our local Lowes for p-traps and new bathroom faucets.  We thought we could reuse the old ones but the connections under the sink were way too corroded and rusted and they were no-name faucets so we couldn't order replacement parts.  Oh well.  Third trip was 15 minutes before closing to get a new drain basket for the kitchen sink, because the one we bought a couple of days ago snapped in pieces while we were trying to install it.  Lowes let us switch it out for a new one, which worked much better. 
I had helpers with me for the first 2 trips, though. Joseph came with me to Leander after archery, and Brigham and Mosey came with me later in the afternoon.  It's nice having helpers. And for some reason store employees always like to comment on what good helpers my boys are.  Do they say that to all kids who come into the store, or is it only because I'm the one shopping in a wheelchair?  Whatever, I'm just glad the boys get some positive affirmation for helping. :-)

2.  I'm on the verge of banning all computer games for the whole summer.  There was way too much whining going on today by a certain eight year old boy around here.  I think maybe a total fast from computer games for a couple of weeks might be a good thing, to remind him about all the other fun toys and games we have around here.  In any case, starting Monday (no computer games on Sundays), there will be no computer use at all until practicing and chores are DONE.  And maybe I'll institute computer blackout times where the computer is turned off.  That would be good for me as well.  I don't want to be a scrooge during the summer, but I am the mom and I do get to make the rules, right?  If mom ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

3.  We had a handyman come over to help install sinks this evening.  I'm not sure how much help he was.  :-)  I think he must have been having an off day or something.  The model of kitchen faucet we got has some awkward clip connections that he just could not manage.  He spent 2 1/2 hours here trying to finish installing one faucet.  Finally he had to go off to another job and said he'd come back tomorrow to finish up.  After he left, Ben was able to make the sticky connection the other guy couldn't do, so I'm not really sure what the problem was.  He came recommended, though, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  He spent the whole time working on the kitchen, so the boys and I worked on the bathroom sinks.  The first faucet took me FOREVER to finish.  I made every mistake possible and had to redo every step at least twice.  I was about ready to throw in the towel myself.  But the second one was a snap, once I finally knew what I was doing.  And the third one upstairs will be easy too.  Slowly but surely our disaster of a house will get put back in order!
I enjoyed working with Mosey on the sink.  I asked if anyone wanted to help and he immediately said, "Oh, I would really like to help if I can!"  Mosey likes stuff like this.  And he did help for quite a while before losing interest.  There really wasn't a whole lot he could do except help me by holding things in place.  Which was a big help, but was also boring.  :-)

No comments: