Wednesday, April 25, 2012

04/25/2012

1.  Pretty good normal school day today.  Piano lessons in the afternoon.  Mosey was unhappy about having to go 2nd in piano (Brigham always has to go first since he has to go to violin right after, so Joseph and Mosey haggle it out over who goes 2nd).  I can never remember who went first the week before, but I really do think it was Joseph.  Anyway, Mosey was not happy about it and went to the piano in a grumpy huff.  That was not a great way to start the lesson...  When Mr. McGrumbles enters the room, he's hard to kick out.  So he was not terribly cooperative or responsive in his lesson which is always so distressing to me!  I have to remember that Joseph used to be like that, too, and he's pretty much grown out of it, at least in public.  :-)  Anyway, his teacher handles it pretty well.  She won't take any rudeness or unresponsiveness, but as soon as he does start acting right, she's 100% cheerful with him.  I felt bad especially because Mosey has practiced really well this week, and had a good practice session at home just before we left, and then he wasn't able to show off his hard work.  Afterward I tried to talk to him about it.  I told him that if he is mad and Joseph or me, that is fine, but he can't take it out on his teacher who had nothing to do with it.  I think I'm going to have him write a letter to her.

2.  When we got home from piano and violin, Ben was already home getting ready for an EQ event tonight at the church-- RC night (radio/remote control).  Everyone brought remote control cars, helicopters, etc., and raced them in the church and in the parking lot.  Ben brought our grill and cooked hot dogs.  The boys went with him had had a great time.  I stayed home and had a great time enjoying peace and quiet.  :-)

3.  I'm working on updating my digital picture frame, and getting another running slideshow for my blog (the one I used to have went "poof" when slide.com shut down...).  So I'm going through all my pictures and gathering up my favorites.  I've gone through 2012 (so far), 2011, 2010, 2009, and 2008.  Man, oh man, it's amazing how much the boys have grown in the last 4 years.  I love looking back on old pictures, but it is also painful to me.  I keep thinking about how nostalgic I'm going to be about the days I'm in right now.  I know a lot of people fail to appreciate the present because they're too busy looking forward to something else coming in the future.  I think I almost have the opposite problem.  I find it hard to truly take joy in the moment because I'm too aware of how fleeting it is and I know I can't slow it down or ever go back.  Darn that whole linear time thing.  :-)

This is almost exactly 4 years ago.  Look how itty-bitty!  Look at those round cheeks and baby teeth!  Ugh, I can't stand that in another 4 years (not to mention 40) I'm going to be looking at the pictures I took today and be feeling this same sharp... longing, I guess it is.  Longing to be able to go back, just for a little bit, to be with those boys who are no longer here.  I've got another set of amazing, wonderful, adorable children, every bit as amazing and wonderful and adorable as those six-year-olds and 4-year-old (just bigger and smarter!), but the ones in this picture are gone, never to return.

No comments: