Sunday, April 22, 2012

04/21/12

1.  Joseph did great in archery today.  Much better since not running over a bird with the car.  :-(  He shot at 15 yards for the first time today and did great.  Their coach is creating a formal competition team, so I think we're going to have to take the plunge and buy Joseph some equipment.  Can I just say again how great I think it is that he has something he is really good at and he really loves?  He's always excited to go and I love taking him.

2.  After archery, Ben and the boys went to help with a move.  I stayed home and worked on laundry.  Then I started feeling really, really tired.  I lay down for a while and fell into an almost drug-like sleep.  I woke up after an hour or so, but still felt drugged and nauseated and awful, so I went back to sleep, hoping I wasn't sick.  I made myself get up at 3:15 so I could go visiting teaching, and over the next couple of hours started to feel better.  So that was weird.

3. Mosey's friend Natasha came over the play in the afternoon.  Ben took all the kids to Bull Creek again where they swam and splashed and hiked and jumped and wore themselves out.  :-)  Sometime I will go just so I can take pictures!  Ben is not a picture-taking guy.

4.  While the boys were helping on the move, Mosey found a tiny little baby bird on the ground.  It had just hatched out of his shell, which was laying on the grass next to it.  They looked for the nest, but couldn't find it, so Mosey picked it up and held it carefully until they went home.  Joseph thinks it is a mockingbird hatchling, but it also could be a starling.  They look the same when their first born-- mostly naked with just a bit of dark fuzz, and the funniest looking gigantic mouth.  They found a slug and a couple of other small bugs to feed it.  Later on at home, we looked up how to care for baby birds, set up a box under the lizards' heat lamp, made a nest for it with kleenex, made some bird food with dry cat food soaked in sugar water, mixed with egg yolk.  It's the funniest, cutest looking thing when it eats-- it cranes its teensy little neck up and opens its humongous mouth which is seriously bigger than its head.  It's really quite desperately ugly-- so ugly it's endearing.  It's eyes are still closed and it's skin is so translucent you can see the bones and veins right through it.

No comments: