Wednesday, April 11, 2012

04/11/12

1.  A better day!  Actually, a great day!  The boys were almost all done with their schoolwork before piano lessons (only cello for Mosey, and spelling for Brigham and Joseph left to do).  This meant they got to watch an episode of Star Trek after dinner.  I still love that show.  But it is cheesier than I remember it being.  :-)

2.  Poor Brigham has been in a bit of a rut in his piano lessons the last few weeks.  He is a very diligent practicer, and he works hard and sounds great at home.  But for the last few weeks, when he's at his teacher's piano, he freezes up and e makes mistakes that he never makes at home!  His teacher is very nice, but will sometimes ask if he practiced something, when he DID practice it, and it was perfect at home!  Brigham gets discouraged.  I think it's something of a self-fulfilling cycle.  The more anxious he gets about his lesson, the more likely he is to struggle.  I'm sure he'll get out of the rut, but it's hard for him right now.  I think I'll video him while he's practicing so he can get used to that feeling of being "on the spot."

3.  I wonder what other families do about name-calling?  My boys don't name-call too much, but it does happen.  There are some banned words in our house, as I'm sure there are in every house.  The problem is that one of my boys is very creative in making small variations on these banned words, and thinking he can get away with it.  Or he'll say half the word.  Or he'll say the word without specifically naming somebody.  You get the idea-- he's pushing his limits.  I've told him that any banned word, any conjugation of that banned word, any variation on the banned word, any rhyme of that banned word, are all still BANNED.  But it's a bit like playing whack-a-mole. 

No comments: