Thursday, March 29, 2012

03/28/12

1.  It rained today!  I sure do love the rain.  At least, I sure do love the rain when Texas is still in a terrible drought and any rain we get is sorely needed.

2.  When the boys were cleaning off the basketball court yesterday, in preparation for our pack meeting, they moved the pool steps (which were for some inexplicable reason on the basketball court) up onto the deck.  These are big plastic steps that we put in the pool up against the side to get in and out.  The boys pushed it over to the edge of the deck, got on the top step, grabbed the disk swing attached to a tree right on the side of the deck, and launched themselves off.  They can really fly on that swing!  It looks really fun.  I wish I could try it.  :-)

3.  There is a black hole somewhere in our house.  We've now lost two school books.  And we are once AGAIN out of pencils, after buying 24 new ones only a month or two ago.  How is that possible??  Where are the pencils going??  Where are those books?  I hate losing things.

4.  Ben and I went to Lowes tonight to talk with a kitchen designer about possibly putting in new kitchen cabinets.  I don't think we're going to do it, since it will be nearly $8000 to put them in.  I am flabbergasted by the price.  The cabinets we were looking at were not the absolute cheapest at Lowes, but they were the next grade up from the cheapest.  And the manufacturer is having some promotion where you get free this and that, and Lowes is having a 10% off sale, all of which cuts off a couple of thousand dollars.  Our kitchen is small!  How can cabinets be that expensive?  Who can afford a really nice kitchen upgrade in a larger kitchen?  After coming home tonight I went into the kitchen and decided that maybe our cabinets are not so bad.  I spent an hour or so scrubbing them down, and touching up some of the worst scuff marks on the bottom cabinets with stain.  They look better.  Not great, but better.  I guess I can think of other things I'd rather use that $8000 for.

1 comment:

Rosalynde said...

You could try refacing or painting the cabinets, if it's just the look you want to change and not the layout or functionality....