Friday, March 16, 2012

03/16/12

1.  The weekend is here again-- yay!  There's always something so promising about Friday nights. 

2.  This afternoon after lessons, Brigham and Joseph wanted to go to the boulder park.  Mosey wanted to stay home and play Tanki (insert a little eye rolling here).  So I drove Brigham and Joseph down there, told them how to get home, and left them!  It's exactly 1.5 miles away, and they're definitely old enough to be down there and get back by themselves now.  I told them I'd come back at 5:00, but if they wanted to come home sooner, they could head on back home.  They had nearly made it home by the time I went to get them.  Joseph brought a backpack with a flashlight, candles, a lighter (in case they got lost in a cave-- we just finished reading Tom Sawyer, can you tell? :-)), and they both brought books.  Turns out they walked down to the boulders, found comfortable places to sit, and read the whole time.  I guess it was more exciting that sitting at home and reading.  :-)
I remember feeling very grown up when I could walk or ride my bike places by myself-- down to Ralphs to turn in my entry for one of their monthly coloring contests and claim my Hershey bar as a prize, up past the tree in the middle of the road and the pink castle, over to Karen Eckloff's house at the end of Orchard Lane, up to that weird water tower on the mountain.  Those were good days in my childhood.

3.  I went out to eat and to a movie with some friends tonight.  We went to a Thai restaurant, which is a great place to eat for a gluten free vegetarian.  Too bad Ben doesn't like Thai.  We saw "The Vow" which was a great chick-flick that Ben also would probably not have voluntarily gone to see.  :-)  Midway through the movie some teenage punks came in the back of the theater, yelled out a very bad word, and then threw a cup out into the audience.  It was very weird.  Hoodlums!  I have never been impressed with the teenagers I've seen hanging out at that mall on weekend nights.   

4.  When I got home, I found Ben and the boys watching the very first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, a show I have many fond memories watching during my childhood.  I think the boys liked it better than the original Star Trek they watched a couple of nights ago.  It's funny to think that the boys watching Star Trek TNG is the same thing as me, at their age, watching "My Three Sons," or "Lassie."  That's crazy.  It probably seems as dated to them as those shows did to me.  I still think Captain Picard looks like a bald version of my dad.

No comments: