Wednesday, March 14, 2012

03/14/12

1.  Happy Pi Day!!  We had tamale pie for dinner, in celebration.

2.  We had an OK day of lessons today.  Nothing especially great, but nothing especially bad.  I think I successfully rescued a couple of potential stubborn stand-offs with two of my children using the hardest, but most effective neutralizer-- humor.  I wish I were naturally funnier, I really, really do.  A person that spontaneously responds with humor is a person who probably gets along with almost anyone, and probably rarely gets into arguments.

3.  We're starting a new unit in science-- the microscope!  We haven't gotten ours out in several months.  Joseph got it out this afternoon and we all remembered how fun it is to look at things.

4.  I took the boys to the library this afternoon.  Joseph was looking for a book about the army.  He's gone on a bit of an army kick the last several days, reading all about it on wikipedia, trying to figure out what all the ranks mean, how much they make, etc.  He's a little fascinated-- he was the boy who was all about making our homeschool into a military school.  Not sure how that works with him, since one of the things he says he did not like about TKD was all of the "Yes Sir!" "Yes Ma'am!" that was required.

5.  I was tired today, and I'm up too late now, which is stupid.  I got to bed at a decent time last night, but woke up at around 3:30 AM and couldn't get back to sleep.  Why does my mind race with ridiculous things I have no control over in the middle of the night??  At 4:15 I gave in and turned on my little book light and read my history book for a while until I got tired again.  But 5:45 came too soon after that...

1 comment:

Naomi said...

I totally agree with you on the humor front. I'll get myself so frustrated with Polly, and then I'll see Dave in an identical situation the next day or so, and it will be a non-issue for him because he's making her laugh, he's making himself laugh, etc. It doesn't come naturally to me, either, although I think I'm learning by seeing how Dave does it. Another reason for us to move to Texas--Dave can tutor both of us :).