Wednesday, February 01, 2012

02/01/2012

1.  The poison ivy I thought Mosey had yesterday is not poison ivy, but a bad case of hives.  He was covered this morning-- legs, arms, neck, belly, face.  I took him to the doctor who told us that 80% of the time cases of hives like this are due to a virus.  Mosey was running a low-grade fever, so I'm sure that's it.  Poor guy has been dosed up on Benadryl all day.  That's the only medication that will help and the doctor says it could take 1-6 weeks for the hives to clear up!  Poor guy.

2.  I wonder if the barking shock collars they make for dogs would work for humans?  I'm really trying to break my yelling habit.  I admit, I am a yeller.  My voice rises with my frustration.  I like to think my boys know how much I love and adore them, even when I yell, and I really do think they do, but it's an ugly habit I'd like to break.  It makes me feel horrible to think there is ever any time at all, even for a moment, when my boys doubt my complete devotion to them.

3.  Mosey came out of his bedroom at around 10:00 tonight and asked if he could come down and sleep in my bed.  I told him no, he has to sleep in his bed, I'm not going to bed yet, he needs to sleep, blah, blah, blah.  I told him to lay in his bed and close his eyes and be as still as he can and then he'll be able to sleep.  Well, he burst into tears and said, "I try that, and it never, ever works!" and then flung himself into his room and locked his door behind him.  Melodramatic, yes, but still, those tears were like a fist clenching around my heart.  My little boy just wanted to sleep next to his mom on a night when he isn't feeling well.  How much longer will he even want to do that?  And the truth is, I LIKE cuddling next to my boys.  Mosey slept in our bed for a ridiculously long time because I wasn't motivated to get him sleeping in his own room.  I love the feeling of that little body still turning to me for comfort.  Whenever he asks to sleep in my room, I secretly want to tell him yes, but I feel like I have to tell him no, I have to establish boundaries, etc., etc., whatever.  So tonight, after I thought about it a second, I realized how dumb it was not to allow him to come down.  For one more night, at least, I'll have my baby to snuggle with.

2 comments:

Kellie said...

I am also a yeller. I'm working on it. I've found if I take better care of myself (sleep, time to myself, etc.) I can manage the yelling better. It is just hard to keep up on that stuff... and good for you for letting your little boy sleep with you. We do start to think there are certain things we should do, but really, why does it matter?

Kellie said...

Oh, and I'm so sorry about the hives. We have a lot of hives in my genes, and there is nothing sadder than a kid all swollen and itchy in my opinion.