Thursday, February 23, 2012

02/22/12

A few pictures from today at the park.
Mosey wearing one of his rare pleasant expressions today.

Brigham looking about the way I felt most of today.

He managed a half-smile that didn't quite reach his eyes...

1.  I had such high hopes for today.  We had such a good start.  I made french toast for breakfast.  We started practicing even before 8:00.  We were on track to finish well before 11:00 AM.  And then Brigham and Joseph got into a fight which landed both of them in separate rooms.  So practicing didn't get finished until nearly 12:00.  And then Mosey cried all the way to TKD because he didn't want to go.  The homeschool TKD classes used to have several kids who went, and now there are only 2 other kids who sometimes come.  No other kids were there today, and Mosey had the instructor he doesn't really like (understandably-- she's something of a cold fish), and it's just not that fun for him under those circumstances.  Anyway, his enthusiasm for TKD has cooled considerably since the new year when Joseph quit and some of the other homeschool kids switched to the afternoon classes.  I feel really bad about that but I'm not sure what I should do.  We can't make the afternoon classes.  We went home, and things deteriorated after lunch, finally ending with Mosey crying inconsolably and telling me that life wasn't worth living.  :-(  So I tried to shake things up and cheer Mosey up by going to the park.  After only about 20 minutes, he started whining and complaining that he wanted to go home, so that was a failure, too.  But Brigham and Joseph were in the middle of some schoolwork, and we had to go to piano lessons right after that, so he was stuck at the park for a whole hour.  It was really terrible for him.  Things improved a little bit during piano lessons, although Mosey was still a bit of a "grumble cookie-monster" or whatever the funny name was that his teacher had for my grumpy boy.  The day was salvaged only fractionally for Mosey by the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese I made for dinner.  Some days are like this, I guess.

2.  It was 88 degrees today.  February 22, and it was 88 degrees outside.  That is depressing.  I think I may have to hide in some Montana cabin in the mountains this summer.

3.  On a less heavy note, Joseph and I went down to UT tonight to go to the Butler School of Music wind symphony performance.  It was so great!  I wanted all the boys to go (Ben was out doing Elders Quorum stuff), but Brigham and Mosey demurred at the last minute, so it was just Joseph and me.  Live music is so much more exciting than listening to recordings.  I told Joseph it's even more exciting performing it!  I need to keep the school of music performances on my calendar-- they're free and a lot more family-friendly than going to the Austin Symphony, for example.

No comments: