Friday, August 24, 2012

08/24/2012

1.  Easy day of lessons today.  It's Friday and my energy is ebbing.  I started packing some boxes of books.  We have lots of books.  :-)  And I'm not prepared to get rid of many of them just yet.  I love raiding my parents' bookshelves for books my kids will like to read-- I figure my boys will do the same for their kids!  :-)

2.  The boys made a giant war scene in the playroom with block buildings and hundreds of plastic toy soldiers today while I was reading our history assignment to them.  I wish I would have taken a picture of it-- it was pretty awesome.  Alas, when our art group friends came over, all the big kids went out back to go swimming, leaving the moms and two 9-month-old babies in the house.  The babies made short business of routing the enemy soldiers in the playroom (and they were all enemy soldiers).  :-)  Later when the boys came inside and discovered the scene of destruction and asked, "What happened in here??!", I just smiled and said "Babies happened."  It's good for my boys to have a chance to practice flexibility, right?

3.  We have a house guest for the next three nights-- a father who just finished a 2,000+ mile bicycle trek with his 12-year-old daughter, from North Carolina to Texas via a route that took them through many different states.  I can't believe a 12-year-old girl could do that!  They've been on the road for two months.  I want my boys to meet this girl.  She's got grit all right.  Anyway, they've been camping along the way, spending only 4 nights total in motels in two months.  She made it home to Buda and he's flying home to NC on Monday morning and so we're his final pit-stop.
It's fun to have house guests, and this guy is really cool.

No comments: