Wednesday, August 22, 2012

08/21/2012

1.  The last day of my big boys being ten.  Oh, these days are so bittersweet for me!  I remember their birth so vividly-- how can those tiny babies now be these big boys?  And yet, they are such wonderful big boys, I can hardly wish them away to return to their baby days.  It just goes by so fast.

2.  After piano lessons this morning, I gave the boys the good news and the bad news.  The good news was that we were not going to do lessons today.  The bad news was that we were going to organize the garage and pack up a bunch of stuff in Brigham's room instead.  :-)  And we accomplished both of those tasks!  Brigham really wanted to do the whole garage by himself, but I insisted we all help.  My plan was to organize things so there would be a good place for packed boxes to be stashed, and a good place for empty boxes to be stored.  Ben had sort of willy-nilly put a bunch of stuff in the garage while we were gone, as he tried to move things out to declutter our front room and kitchen.  So we spent some time organizing and packing up that stuff before moving up to Brigham's room.  We sorted through all the blankets and make a big Goodwill pile, a medium throw-away pile, and put all the "keep" blankets into a big box.  We had way too many blankets, many of which were falling apart.  I also made myself be brutal and put a bunch of the boys' baby blankets in the Goodwill pile.  I kept all the ones that I made, or that were handmade by someone else, but all the store-bought blankets will go to another baby now.  I didn't enjoy that part.  When will I come to an acceptance that I'm not going to have another baby?...

3.  After our organizing, Brigham and Mosey went with me to the grocery store.  The twins needed to choose their special birthday cereal, and I needed ingredients for their cakes.  Joseph stayed home, after instructing me in what he wanted (he had to take advantage of the time with no brothers to compete with for the computer!). So then tonight after dinner I started the traditional white chocolate raspberry cheesecake for Joseph, since it needs to chill for 12 hours.  Most of the way through I realized I bought the wrong kind of jam for the raspberry filling, and I had to make an 11:00 run to Walmart.  But Joseph has to have his cheesecake!  Brigham wants Triple Chocolate Devils Food cake, which I will make tomorrow morning.  And now I have stayed up way, way, way, way too late decorating and wrapping presents and making cakes and I will pay for it tomorrow.  But my boys only turn 11 once and they are worth it.

No comments: