Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Just a touch of acrophobia

I finally got around to uploading and editing some of my pictures from our trip to Utah a month ago. Yeah, it's taken me a month.
When we drove through Zion, we stopped for Ben and the boys to go on a short hike. I sent my camera with Ben with instructions to take pictures. When I saw the pictures, my heart about stopped. I have just a small case of acrophobia (OK, maybe not such a small case). To my eyes, it looked as though my boys were walking along a tiny little trail, clinging onto the edge of an enormous cliff. Yikes!! I am not sure if I'm glad I wasn't there, or horrified I wasn't there.
I told the boys that they were not to take a STEP off the trail, and if there was any tomfoolery at ALL, then Ben was to turn around and take them straight back to the car . I guess they must have behaved. But after seeing these pictures, the next time I send my boys off hiking among thousand foot cliffs, I might require them to wear parachutes.
This is another example of why boys need dads in their lives. At least, they need dads if they have cowardly moms who have regular nightmares of her kids falling off cliffs (I seriously do). Because if it were totally up to me? They would not ever go on a hike like this! :-)


I'm not sure if I'm more worried about Brigham standing RIGHT NEXT to the EDGE of that rail, or about Ben standing somewhere, clearly NOT on the trail, to take the picture.



Look at that! That is a totally deficient railing! You could trip and easily fall straight through that thing! There should be chain link, or plexi-glass, or, best of all, a 5 foot tall stone wall! The view? Who cares! Just don't let my babies fall down the cliff!



This is just so, so wrong. If there isn't even a place to carve a trail along the cliff side, then humans simply shouldn't be there. What is with that wood? There are huge CRACKS between those boards! You can SEE all the way down, straight under your feet! And again, completely deficient railings. Plus, it all looks just a little rusty to me. How long has that been there? Is it regularly inspected? I want to see some certificates of safety!



OK, so it is a pretty view. And at least that railing has got chain link across it. But still, my precious little boys are LEANING on that rail! What if it somehow pulled out of the stone? What if an especially strong gust of wind just blew my babies right over? What if a rabid mountain goat came charging down the mountain and knocked that rail clear off the cliff? If I had been there, everyone would have been safely back away from that rail. At LEAST an arm's-length away. What if there was an earthquake just then? And again, Ben, where WERE you standing to get that picture?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not alone. Sometimes I think I'm the most paranoid parent on the planet. Does the hubby roll his eyes when you express your concerns? Mine does.

Rachel said...

I just realized the other day that I will not stop being worried about the baby after she's born. I will be worried for the rest of my life.

Mama said...

Yes, Rachel - you will be worried the rest of your life! And sometimes ignorance is the only way to survive :) It is a miracle children survive their mother's fears!