Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Off to Houston for the long haul

Hi Everyone,
I only have a few minutes because I'm trying to get packed up and on the road before it's too late.
The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind! I spent a few days in Houston two weeks ago for the last round of testing and getting the CVC line placed, and starting the stem cell mobilization. Then I went home for a weekend and then back to Houston for the collection.
The collection went fine, I didn't get super cold like I did during the first apheresis run. I think it was because of the mobilization drugs I was on. Neupogen causes the bones to produce and release stem cells from the bones into the blood stream. It causes an increase in all blood counts, and can cause fevers, which I think accounted for my not being too cold.
Neupogen itself is pretty yucky, though. The most common side effects are bone pain, but I didn't get any of that. I got horrible, intense headaches. I've never had headaches like that before, extra strength tylenol did not even TOUCH them. When I got back to the hospital, the doctor prescribed Darvon for me, which did help with the headaches, although not entirely, and also served to make me loopy and nauseated. But overall, it was tolerable. I just had to sit there in the apheresis center and veg out for 4 hours, then go back to the hotel room and veg out some more. :-)
I collected for 3 days, and then Thursday had a follow up to make sure my blood was doing what it was supposed to be doing, and then got my CVC (central venous catheter) line changed out to a couple of smaller tubes. It is way more comfortable and easier to take care of, so that is good.
Then Friday morning we were off to California for my sister's wedding! It was amazing and I loved every minute of being back home with my family.
Yesterday morning my mom cut my hair really short! I didn't want it long in the hospital (too hard to take care of and too yucky when it starts falling out). So it is short! Very short in back, and a little longer on top. I didn't tell Ben about it, so he was surprised when he picked me up from the airport this afternoon. He's not totally loving the new 'do, but I told him he'll probably like it a lot better than he will a few days from now! LOL!
I was scheduled to fly home Sunday, but just couldn't leave my boys so soon, so I flew out today instead. It was very, very hard for me to leave my boys. I'm sure the people in the plane were all wondering what was wrong with me. But I know they'll be taken care of probably better than I can take care of them! And they will have a very good time.
Ben and I drive out to Houston tonight, I have a CAT scan at 6:30 in the morning, then a final neurological assessment at Baylor. Thursday I have all the pre-admitting stuff, and then I'll be admitted for the duration.
I'll try to update every day, or if I can't, have Ben update for me. It's hard to believe this is finally happening!
Ok, off to pack.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gabrielle,
Thank you so much for posting, I've been checking but figuring there was no way! So I was surprised! I'm glad you could spend one more day, doesn't each day mean so much when we realize it! Take care and we'll be thinking of you each day.
Kara

Michele said...

We wish you the best in the weeks ahead. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. We look forward to the time you will return to Austin. You will be missed, keep smiling whenever possible.

Kelly said...

We're certainly thinking of you too, and you'll be the focus of this coming fast Sunday. As Michele said, you'll be missed, but you will be thought of often while you're away. I also like her suggestion to keep smiling--with the "whenever possible" added. I guess, keep crying, when ever needed can go along with it. I think you'd look beautiful with super short hair or no hair for that matter.