Thursday, June 19, 2008

Another day another blood draw

Today was a very long day. I got my central line catheter inserted this morning. It was ok. It really hurts right now, but supposedly in a couple of days I won't be able to feel it much. And then I had to get blood drawn (again!) but since the Doctor didn't give his official permission to use the central line, I had to get poked in the arm again. Waaahhh...
I had a trial leukopheresis early this afternoon. It was very unpleasant because when the blood comes out and goes through the machine, it gets cold, and so I was absolutely freezing the whole time. I had 5 heated blankets piled on top of me, and wrapped around my head, but I still couldn't stop shivering. It was only an hour and a half, and on Monday and possibly till Thursday, the collection will be 5 hours! I'm going to bring a huge coat and hat and those hand warmer things to put inside my slippers. I also signed the rest of the consent forms, met with some doctors, had another x-ray, and waited a lot in waiting rooms.
Tomorrow I have to go in to get the catheter checked, go to a training class, and get my first shot of Neupagin. I will hopefully then go home. Our insurance company is being a pain (surprise) saying that I can only get the Neupagin from a mail order service. So if they can't get it to me by Saturday I'll have to stay in Houston and get the shots at the hospital. It's pretty ridiculous, but I think it will end up working out.
Ok, I'm so tired and my arm is so sore from the catheter, so I'll close for now.
The boys are doing great. They went to the Houston zoo today and got soaked in a downpour on the way home. Ben is getting used to waiting in waiting rooms while stuff happens to me.
Have a great Friday everyone!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks for the update, Gabby. I hope you got things worked out with the insurance company. I hope the pain is less and the chilling too on Monday and Thursday.

Thinking of you.

Unknown said...

Gabby:
I am inspired by your strength, how you find the positive when things don't go as planned. I know the Lord's mighty help is bringing you along... this helps me to trust that you, Ben, the boys and your family will be blessed. You are in my heart and in my prayers. Thank you for keeping us informed and allowing us to share the experience with you.
With all my love,
Margie

Karly said...

gabby, It is so good to hear what is going on. You and your family are so strong! we love you and are praying for you!
love,
karly and ted