Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Day -1

Hello All,
Today was a much, much, much better day.
Up until yesterday, I had thought I was getting off pretty easy with the chemo. But yesterday was pretty much a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
I had been told the ATG could be pretty intense, but the headache I experienced wasn't on any of the side effects lists. Here's what my info said about ATG:
"ATG may cause bleeding, fever, hives, shaking, and/or chills. It may cause muscle aches, joint aches, kidney damage, liver damage, and/or fluid leakage into tissues such as the lung, causing shortness of breath. It may also cause severe allergic reactions which can cause trouble breathing and/or changes in blood pressure. ATG may cause a decrease in blood platelet counts, which may increase the risk of serious bleeding. It may cause fainting, itching, rash, facial swelling, lymph node swelling, diarrhea, and/or nerve pain. it may cause an increased risk of developing a specific type of lymph cancer."
I was premedicated with Benadryl and Zofran in the morning, as usual, and then did the Etoposide and Cytarabine. I was supposed to get a blood transfusion because my hemoglobin was really low, but there was some delay, so I went right into the ATG in the early afternoon instead. Almost immediately after the ATG was started, I started to get a headache. I got up to go to the restroom, and noticed my spasticity in my legs was noticeably worse. By the time I got back into the bed, a minute or two later, my headache had intensified, and a minute later, I was in agony. I don't know that I have *ever* experienced pain like that. Ben immediately got the nurses in my room, and they took my vitals which showed high blood pressure (which for me is really weird since I have such low blood pressure normally), and my heart racing. They called the doctor and then had me take Darvon and some other stuff, it is pretty hazy now. I somehow swallowed the medication, but then all I could do was hold a pillow over my face and cry. The nurses stopped the ATG for a while and slowly the headache started to diminish. I think they gave me more benadryl and more steroids, and then slowly started up the ATG again. I was finally able to sleep, and finished up the ATG. When I woke up, I thought the worst was behind me. I ordered dinner, but by the time it got up to my room, I started to develop a fever and chills. Pretty soon I was shaking so hard I could hardly talk, let alone eat. We called the nurses again, and they piled me up with warm blankets and started me on Demerol. That eventually helped calm the shakes, but then my fever kept going up, and up, and up.
My MS is very heat sensitive, which I've known for a while. But I guess my body has never gotten that hot before. My fever eventually peaked out at 104 point something which I think is pretty high for an adult. My MS symptoms basically went through the roof. I couldn't move at all from about the ribs down, not even a toe. I had double vision and couldn't focus on anything, and even my arms which are largely unaffected, were really weak and my hands were numb. It was really frightening because it was getting worse by the minute, and my fever wasn't going down. The nurses took off all the warm blankets and instead put ice packs around my head, neck, and belly, and got a cooling blanket to try and get the fever down. There were doctors and nurses in my room until about 1 AM when the fever finally started to come down. The on-call neurologist came in and checked me out, did all the neurological assessments, but by that time I was starting to get some movement back (hey! I can move my big toe!), and the panic level was decreasing.
I have to say the night nurses were amazing. One of the nurses, I think her name is Leah, was in my room almost continuously, and offered to pray for me. She gave the most heartfelt prayer, with her hands on my head. She was really comforting and I was so touched.
Anyway, by the time I woke up this morning, the fever was gone, and I regained nearly all the function I lost the night before, and throughout the day I believe I have gone back to baseline. So as scary as it all was, it is a relief to know that the fever-induced exacerbation really is just temporary.
Today was my last day of chemo. I got a unit of blood in the morning, which was fine, and then Melphalan later on in the morning, and ATG again in the afternoon. Here's what my info says about Melphalan:
"Melphalan may cause nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite, diarrhea, sterility, and/or disruption of menstruation in females. Melphalan may cause mouth sores, skin rash, and/or hair loss. It may cause injury to the kidneys, lungs, heart, and/or liver. It may cause allergic reactions, including itching, hives, flushing, wheezing, chest tightness, fever, chills, muscle stiffening, breathing problems, and/or loss of appetite. It may cause heart failure, bleeding from the bladder, and/or seizures. It may increase your risk of developing a second cancer."
It sounded scary, but it was really fine. This is the drug that causes mucositis (lesions in the mouth and mucosal lining of the entire digestive tract), so they had me chew ice for an hour, a little before and after the actual infusion. I guess that causes the blood vessels in the mouth to shrink and minimize the mouth sores later on down the line. They had me dosed up on Zofran again, and I felt just fine.
I was really nervous about the second round of ATG this afternoon. The doctors told me that usually the second dose is a lot better tolerated than the first, but they were taking no chances. They premedicated me with steroids, benadryl, and tylenol, then ran the infusion over twice the amount of time, with another dose of benadryl and steroids halfway through. And it was fine! No fever! No headache! I was soooo relieved. Even though I knew any reaction I had would be temporary, I just really didn't want to experience that again!
So now I am officially done with chemo. Tomorrow is transplant day. My blood counts will continue to decrease for the next few days, and will bottom out in 4 or 5 days. I've been warned that I probably won't feel too great as this happens, but at least I know the doctors will treat any fevers and stuff really aggressively with me. I've still got my hair, but I've been told that will start falling out 7-10 days after the chemo, so I guess I've got a few more days. I've been on so much steroids since I've been here (and before-- prednisone for the stem cell mobilization), my face is starting to swell which I hate. But if I learned anything last night, it is that I'm doing all of this for a reason. I know if I did not go through with this transplant, I would be where I was last night probably within a year, and that is something I just can't contemplate. So I have absolutely no regrets at this stage of the game.
Ok, enough of this long drama for tonight. Ben has been a trooper. It's probably a weird combination of boredom, punctuated by too much excitement. He's been waiting on me hand and foot which has been incredibly helpful. He got me coke and chocolate yesterday after I emerged from my ATG headache (and before the fever). What more could a girl ask for? :-)

12 comments:

Kelly said...

OH my. What a tough day yesterday was. I'm so relieved that today went better. I'm so glad you feel good about proceeding and I hope that tomorrow is tolerable and effective. We had an RS presidency meeting today and were all thinking of you, and will continue to do so. Of course our prayers will continue.

Hello to Ben too. Thanks for the daily updates.

Anonymous said...

Gabby,

I was having my quiet time this morning and my heart was so heavy for you and Ben. What a blessing to have logged on to check your blog and find a posting written by YOU!!!! I'm literally still in tears from your frightening experience, but it is so very good to "hear" from you.

I don't know how long I can make this post, but I was also listening to my music. Are you aware of the Christian band Casting Crowns? They have a very profound song called "Voice of Truth" that has pulled me through my most difficult of times. I will post the lyrics here in hopes that the song can also minister to you as it has me many, many times.

VOICE OF TRUTH, by Casting Crowns

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I’m in
Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He’s holding out His hand.

But the waves are calling out my name and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times I tried before and failed
The waves, they keep on telling me time and time again
“Boy, You’ll never win…you’ll never win.”

But the Voice of Truth tells me a different story
The Voice of Truth says “Do not be afraid!”
And the Voice of Truth says “This is for my Glory.”
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of Truth.

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of strength it takes to stand before a giant
With just a sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors
Shaking in their amour
Wishing they’d have had the strength to stand

But the giants call out my name and they lasso me
Reminding me of all the times I tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me time and time again
“Boy, You’ll never win…you’ll never win.”

But the Voice of Truth tells me a different story
The Voice of Truth says “Do not be afraid!”
And the Voice of Truth says “This is for my Glory.”
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of Truth.

But the stone was just the right size to put the giant on the ground
And the waves that all seemed so high, top down looking down.
I soar with the wings of eagles when I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus singing over me.

But the Voice of Truth tells me a different story
The Voice of Truth says “Do not be afraid!”
And the Voice of Truth says “This is for my Glory.”
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of Truth

I will listen and believe…
I will listen and believe the Voice of Truth.
I will listen and believe
‘Cuz Jesus, You are the Voice of Truth.
And I will listen to You.




Many hugs and prayers comin' at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see more posts from you. That is more encouraging than you'll ever know.

Hildie said...

Hi Gabby,
just thought I would pop in to say hi. Our prayers are with you! What an awful experience you've had!!!

Rena said...

Gabby,
yesterday as i was praying, i mentioned you and hoped that you were doing better. I hate to think that you had to suffer like that. I developed a seviere migraine yesterday brought on by some fumes that I was too close to. And the whole time I was crying in my bed, I kept thinking that you have suffered so much more than I was at the moment. And I just hoped that I was taking a migraine away from you. I think about you often throughout the day and hope your days to come aren't as eventful as before!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gabrielle! I'm so glad I logged onto your blog the day AFTER this horrible day for you so I know you pulled through and had a better day. I developed a migraine while I was driving home from a surprise trip to CA and really suffered after driving all night. I thought what a wimp I am and that Gabrielle wouldn't cry with a migraine! So I was very glad to hear that you do cry! And glad it got better.
Kara

kelleyplus said...

The Kelley family leave you with tons of love and hope for the future.
Coke and chocolate indeed!

May you be blessed with all things good and hopeful. Suzie

Amy F said...

I'm so glad you have Ben there through this. Nothing like a patient, loving spouse to get you through hard times. It's so nice that he's able to spend the time there with you.

It is nice to know you have such responsive, aggressive, and caring medical people working with you. They should know we are praying for them, too.

Glad your ATG experience is over. Indeed, you ARE doing this for a good reason.

Bekah has opted to start using the blanket you made for Ella. She uses it whenever she "feels chilly"... which is pretty often, as she has also opted to de-clothe down to her diaper most of the day... hmmmm. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that you are one strong woman! I hope that I can be that tough or strong if I have to face anything near what you've been going through! Keep staying positive :)

paul said...

wow gabrielle. you a truly brave women. way to make it through the night.

paul said...

'you are'

Candice said...

Oh Gabby,

I was just sitting here checking my email & thought I'd google your name for fun. And here you are...

Your boys are beautiful. You're as amazing as ever. Can't believe all that's on your plate today. Hugs & prayers to you!

Hope it's okay that I'm posting, but I wanted to say HI & let you know I still think of you & Ben & how great it was having you as our neighbors.

Love, Candice

Deb and Chad Crowther said...

Hi Gabby! It's been a long time since we've touched base...it seems like forever ago that you guys moved to TX from Sunny SF. You are definately missed! I was blog surfing and found your page from the McHenry's blog...what a surprise I had to read your updates. My heart just dropped when I read everything. YOU ARE AMAZING! Can you please teach me to have the same attitude you have?? I will definately be thinking and praying for you. You are an example of strength, courage, and positiveness. I know that Heavenly Father will bless you for the wonderful person, mother, wife, and friend you are!