Tuesday, July 15, 2008

negligence

Hi everyone,
I've been very negligent in keeping y'all updated. I've not been feeling too well, that's my excus and I'm sticking to it!
Last Thursday was the transplant day. All in all it was very uneventful. They brought up a small bag of clear fluid (I was expecting something that looked like blood, but they did a CD34 screening, so only those cells were in it, and they are clear). It took about 15 minutes. Ben actually missed the whole thing because he was downstairs doing laundry. The worst of it is that the cells are stored in DMSO which has a really funky smell that comes out in your breath and sweat. Yuck.
Anyway, the next several days are a blur of nausea and throwing up and feeling awful, so I won't dwell. I think I'm maybe starting to feel slightly better? I'm Day +5 now and start Neupogen shots. The cells should start to engraft today and in another 5-9 days my counts should really be improving.
Anyway, I'm here, hanging in there. I know this is all worth it, but at the same time I NEVER want to do this again!
Thank you for your prayers. I need endurance right now, and the ability to eat a little so I can get my strength back. Everyone wants me to get up and walk around which is hard enough for me, and even harder since I haven't been able to keep anything down in 4 days. But everyone says this is the worst of it and it will all start to get better from here.
I love everyone and miss being home!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Several people have said they want to go visit you, including our RS presidency, my daughter, Sis. Davis, etc., and I've told them I don't think you can have visitors. Am I right? When can you have visitors?

It's nice to hear from Ben daily, but a good treat hearing from you personally. I hope you get some strength to eat. Good luck walking!

Anonymous said...

I second Kelly. I love seeing your posts more than Ben's updates (no offense, Ben :)). I just take that as a sign that you are feeling upto something other than sleeping. Yea!!!

We will continue to list you up in prayers, especially for the endurance you mention. It must be very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you feel so darned crummy. I will specifically ask that God show that to you in a way that only He can.

On another note, our adoption of Alex is coming along nicely. We are awaiting China's final word to come get him. Meanwhile, I'm busy getting his room ready, selling all our girl stuff so we can buy boy stuff, registering for our baby shower, etc. I'm squeezing in a hysterectomy (sorry - tmi) on August 7th so I'm fully recouped by the time we travel in September. So, craziness here but all a GOOD crazy. I can't wait to scoop that little guy up into my arms and introduce him to all my friends. Anna Mei, believe it or not, is also getting excited to get little brother. Praise the Lord - HE *can* move mountains. :)

Hugs, hugs and more hugs your direction!!!!!!!!

Amy F said...

Endurance, indeed. The refining fire is a real, real thing for you right now. I know you know it will be over and worth it. But I'm sure it is still just as hard. You miss home, because there is so very much to go home to. What a blessing.

Enjoy your mom... I am so glad she is there to be with you.

Anonymous said...

Gabrielle,
As I'm reading your thoughts the slides of your children keep moving by. What great motivation they are to you! What beautiful blessings you have in your life. Just know that often you are in my thoughts and prayers and fasts. You can and will do this. I know you will come thru this with an even greater radiance and strength. Keep the faith!
Love, Jenny Neilson Scott