Monday, July 21, 2008

The Best of Times... The Worst of Times
OK, well maybe that's a bit exaggerated, but this weekend has seen some extremes in Room G1151. The good news first -- Gabrielle's white cell count rose to a whopping 0.2 on this morning's lab report!!! This is what she and all of us have been waiting and praying for. If her counts rise again tomorrow, we can safely assume that her cells have engrafted and her body is beginning to produce brand-new bone marrow, hopefully MS-free. Hurray!!
Unfortunately this good news arrived just after Gabrielle threw up, or tried to -- there was nothing in her stomach since she had thrown up everything she ate yesterday already last night. (Sorry to be so graphic -- I hope none of you just finished eating lunch!) Just when we hoped the worst was over... She was not feeling a bit well yesterday -- shakey and weak and "weird." We had a quiet day of reading the Ensign, a make-shift Sunday School class (quite excellent, if I do say so myself!), and watching a movie (so far we have seen "Ghandi," "Out of Africa," "The Man Without a Face," and "Our Mutual Friend" -- all excellent). She didn't attempt to walk yesterday, but I am hoping she will feel strong enough to walk today because I think that will help her feel better. But we are definitely taking it one hour at a time today. Just yesterday I was worried about how to keep her from getting too bored, now that she was feeling so much better... I won' have to worry about that today.
But the GOOD NEWS is very good indeed and all this discomfort will be worth it!
So... hold off on the phone calls today, but send a card or email if you get a chance -- I will print out the email so she can read them.
Until later... Christie

Her address:
Gabrielle Turner
Room G1151
U.T. M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Blvd.
Houston, Texas 77030

3 comments:

kelleyplus said...

Dearest Gabrielle,
Here is my favorite scripture from my studies this morning. I have promised myself I will committ it to memory. It is:
Deuteronomy 31:6
" Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."
Blessings to you all. Suzie

Kathy Johnson said...

Dear Gabrielle,

Greetings from the Kaysville Johnsons. We are thinking about you daily and praying for you.
Love, Aunt Kathy

We are glad to hear from you. This blog has kept us up to date, and we are watching and hoping for you.
Sincerely, Noah J.

Gabrielle, your strength amazes me. I'm so proud to be related to someone who is so faithful and such a good example to everyone. You're an inspiration. Love, Jerusha.

Angee said...

I am amazed by your strength and will power. Way to go. Keep on going. Angee