Thursday, July 03, 2008

In the hospital

So I'm finally in my hospital room! Yesterday I only had a couple of appointments in the morning, then we went back to the hotel and slept since I had about 3.5 hours of sleep the night before (took forever to pack, got off to a late start, didn't get to sleep until 2:00 AM). We went out to eat with my cousin Paul who is going to Rice (right across the street from the Medical Center). We had fun talking about Rice and how things have changed over the past 14 years. It has been 14 years since I matriculated at Rice!!!!! I can't believe that, really I can't.
Today I had appointments in the morning, just more blood draws and labs to make sure I'm not sick or anything, and finally a visit with Dr. Popat (my transplant doctor). We got out by about 12:30, and had the afternoon free. We drove around the Galleria (really nice area west of the downtown with fancy buildings and expensive stores), ate lunch at a Mexican restaurant, and then watched Get Smart at a theater (really funny movie, by the way, we both liked it a lot). We got the call to come over to the hospital at about 6:30, and now here we are!
I am in room G1151. We're up on the 11th floor with a great view towards the west. There's supposed to be a huge fireworks display over near the galleria, which we ought to be able to see pretty well from here.
I'm now hooked up to IV's and set to start my first chemo drug in the morning. I'll be on Carmustine. Here's what my information packet says about Carmustine: "May cause flushing of the skin and a bloodshot appearance of the eyes. It may cause damage to the lungs, resulting in shortness of breath. It may cause low blood pressure, chest pain, and/or fast heartbeat. Infusion of Carmustine into or around the vein may cause pain, tenderness, muscle pain, hardening, and/or inflammation. It may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, headache, hair loss, allergic reactions, and/or liver and/or kidney damage. Carmustine may cause seizures. Brain shrinkage has also been seen after high-dose Carmustine, but the side effects are not known."
Lovely, huh? The nurse told me the most common side effects are headache and jaw pain, so I'll let you know.
I have to stay in my room while actually getting the chemo infusions, but otherwise I can wander the floor if I want, as long as I'm gowned, gloved, and masked. The whole floor is a transplant floor. In fact, the nurses emphasized that it is good to get up and walk as much as possible. Too bad I can't walk! Ha ha, actually I can hobble around a little, just probably not the 1 mile they are recommending per day. One mile, can you imagine? I made it 185 meters yesterday during my EDSS scoring. But that is a whole heck of a lot better than nothing, believe me.
So I'm enjoying my last night of feeling good. Of course they're pumping me full of fluids tonight so I'll be up every half hour using the bathroom. Between that and the every-4-hour vitals check, I might not get that much sleep. But what else have I got to do here but nap? I'll survive, and if a little sleep deprivation is the worst of my experience, I'll be the luckiest person alive.
I have a room phone, but I'm not sure the number at the moment. I'm available on my cell-phone, though.
Good night everyone! I'll update tomorrow night, or if I'm feeling too yucky, I'll have Ben do it.

1 comment:

StrykerLOVE said...

gabbi - I am so excited for you - the possibilities of your treatment! but it sounds so scary too. Of course we are praying for you. So are you going to watch a lot of movies, hanging out there in the hospital for so long? The BBC/masterpiece theater just redid all of Jane Austen's works and I loved Northanger Abby and Sense and Sensibility - just some recommendations to keep you going through the days.