Thursday, July 24, 2008

New Scenery!

I am writing from my new home away from home for the next two weeks!
I got discharged today, which was a very long process. They *say* they try to get patients discharged by 11 AM. Ha! We weren't walking out the doors until after 5:00 PM!
I had to be cleared by the doctor, have my final evaluation with the PT person (a really nice guy named Mario-- this sort of chubby, jolly Philippino guy), get instructions from the discharge nurse and the regular nurse, have a consult with the Pharmacy Doctor, get hooked up to my IV drip, get all my meds at the hospital Pharmacy, and then we were done!
I am still hooked to a saline drip, but hopefully just until tomorrow. The whole time I was in the hospital, I have had really low blood pressure, but a high pulse rate. My bp would frequently dip as low as 80/50, which always freaked out the nurses. I felt normal, though. And my heart rate was never below 100, and sometimes up to 135 bpm. So the doctor thought I should still be on fluid support for one more day. So I'm not entirely freed from everything, but hopefully tomorrow!
We are staying at the Crown Plaza Hotel, it's about 10 miles away from the medical center. Which I'm fine with! Close enough to be able to go back and forth pretty easily, but I can see something new outside my window. It's a nice suite, with a little (very little) kitchenette, so before we checked in, I had my first outing to the grocery store! Don't worry, I wore my mask, and used purell on the ride-on-cart handles. We loaded up on bagels, and microwave meals, and ice cream! Then, to the hotel. At first they put us in the wrong room, so Mama had to cart all our stuff twice. We (I) have a lot of stuff! She's gotten a real workout the last couple of days, getting stuff loaded back into the car, and then again into the hotel.
So I go back to the hospital tomorrow morning for bloodwork and a clinic visit plus physical therapy. Hopefully I won't need blood products, but if so I'll do that too. But after that, I am a free woman!
It was so weird to leave the hospital. So weird. In some ways it seems like forever since I came in, and in others, it was like I left one time/space dimension, and re-entered the one I left 3 weeks ago. Driving down the road was like sensory overload. So many people and buildings and things to see! It was fantastic. There were times when I didn't know if I could manage one more hour in that hospital, but somehow I did, and I'm out now! And best of all, I'll see my boys in probaby 40 hours from now. I can't wait.

No comments: