Tuesday, November 11, 2008

seven-year-old wisdom

So we were in the grocery store today and Brigham out of the blue asked me, "Mom, why do women always want to be skinny?"

(I then had a very short internal conversation, chastising myself for ever criticizing my body size in front of my son; I didn't think I had, but he obviously got that from somewhere.)

I answered, "Because some women think they are prettier when they are skinny."

He then, very wisely replied, "I think it must hurt their waists a lot."

Hear, hear Brigham. Very well said, indeed.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Smart. I like how he thinks.

Christine said...

Oh my gosh, I'm dreading the day when all of those issues become clear to my kids. I'm so super sensitive about anybody saying anything to my kids, especially my girls, about being thin or that thin is beautiful. So funny that a boy with only 2 brothers is picking up on it already. What a world we live in, huh?