Thursday, October 16, 2008

What the...

Ok, I can't make heads nor tails of this email exchange. As a background, I had originally signed the boys up for Town and Country soccer, to the tune of $350. You've heard the story of how competitive the league is, and how inappropriate for my very-beginner boys. So I'm trying to get a partial refund of our registration fee. This is the email I sent to the soccer commissioner:

Hi J,
I enrolled my boys, Joseph and Brigham Turner in U8 soccer this season. After the 1st game was cancelled because of Hurricane Ike, the schedule was revised and it turned out that half of my boys' games would be on Sundays. We cannot participate in Sunday games or practices, for religious reasons. My boys' coach also scheduled practices on Sunday afternoons. When it became apparent that my boys wouldn't be able to attend half the games and half the practices, I took them off the team and we joined another league that only has games on Saturdays.
My boys went to 2 practices only, and no games.
I'd like to get a partial refund of their registration fee, considering that the circumstances making my boys unable to play were beyond our control. I was not aware that the games or practices would be held on Sundays.

Thanks,
Gabrielle Turner


So this is the email I got in response:

Mrs. Turner,

I’m sorry, but I can’t do that at the moment. I used the excess money to purchase my children a new Wii system. They really love it. I too enjoy the sports games and would hate to give it up. I’m sure you understand.

J


Umm, ok? So here's what I just sent back to him:

I assume you're not being serious about this? (not that I would blame you for buying a Wii, they are cool!) :-)
I understand of course that a full refund will not be possible.

Gabby


I don't even know what to say about all of this, I'm kind of speechless (which says a lot about me).

3 comments:

Caroline said...

wow! I bet he/she was being serious

Naomi said...

That is so, so bizarre. I hope you post his response when he finally gets back to you! Are there any materials on-line that talk about cancellation policies? Is this something you'd feel comfortable contacting the coach about? A refund seems entirely, entirely within your rights, in my opinion. And, I have to say, if that guy was joking, it wasn't in very good taste, given the economic and political climate. And if he wasn't joking, you've got plenty of resources between yourself, your husband, and your father, that could come into good stead! (not that I'm advocating litigation for every misunderstanding. Or even most misunderstandings.)

Christine said...

That response had a weird sound to it, like whoever wrote it is not a native English speaker. Is J a non-native English speaker, or maybe somebody hijacked his email account? We just had a friend whose email account got hijacked, and requests for money got sent out to every one of his contacts.