Monday, October 20, 2008

Oh dear...

Why is English such an irregular language? No, I don't really want an answer. I know there must be some really great reasons, but it ultimately doesn't matter. It is just really hard to teach little kids to spell when English seems to have so few rules!
How to explain why "crowd" is spelled with an "ow" while "loud" is spelled with an "ou?" Or "flown" is spelled "ow" and "sewn" is spelled "ew?" Why is "out" spelled "ou" and "doubt" is spelled "oubt?"
Ugh.
Someone tell me that my kids will eventually learn to spell!

2 comments:

Mikey, Anna, Lillie and Sam said...

Funny how that works. Anna would tell you they may never learn to spell because she's dyslexic. I would say that I would never have realized the difficulties of English had I not learned French and married a dyslexic person. Keep it up though, you're awesome.

raegan said...

AMEN!!! This was the single biggest challenge in teaching elementary school (with the exception of dealing with parents). Some things you just have to memorize!