Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fly, Batty, Fly


Yesterday Mosey was singing a little song he made up. Joseph was very taken by it, and went upstairs to collaborate with Mosey. He came down stairs with the following song written in blue colored pencil:


Batty fly fly fly
All the bats are out
They fly and fly
In the night sky
All the bats are out
In dusk they come
In dusk to hunt
They look like a river
They flap and flap
Through the night sky


Very poetic, no?


As a followup to last night's post about Joseph, I still don't know what happened. I went to mutual, and Ben picked the boys up. I called him on the way home, and he said he'd talk to me about it when I got home. But when I got home, I ended up falling asleep with the three boys in my bed, and never got a chance to talk to Ben (our whole sleeping situation is another post altogether-- I'm just to the point where I'll let them sleep anywhere, as long as they sleep).

And today we haven't had a chance to discuss it either. Joseph told me he ran out the back door and ran around the building and hid in a bamboo tree and the lady was trying to find him. He didn't eat and didn't play any games. But he did draw a quite inspiring picture of Saphira (of Eragon fame). So it didn't sound too good. But he wasn't particularly traumatized. I'm not sure how the director feels, though.

Ugh. Joseph is the one who has certainly suffered the most from this whole transplant/mom being gone for 2 months ordeal, and he is the one who is the most resistant to being helped.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Well, if Joseph was able to talk to you about it and tell you what happened, that's good. And that picture of bats is quite something too--is that a picture that you took in Texas?

Christine said...

For some reason the comment I posted yesterday never went through or something, darn. Anyway, I don't think it had anything to do with separation anxiety or anything like that. Joseph is a smart boy who is trying very hard to hide a lot of stuff inside that he is scared to death to let out, and he knew you were taking him to a place where they try and have him talk about those things. So his reaction made perfect sense, I think. I also think that this program, or one like it, is something he really needs. As they say, hit pidgeons flutter. His strong reaction may be a sign that you have hit the nail on the head of something that could really help break through to him. I think whatever does eventually break through and get him to let everything out is not going to be easy on him and he'll resist big time. Anyway, don't be discouraged. If this really seems too hard on him and you, then I'd try another group maybe, or something one on one, but keep at it. We love you!