Sunday, October 12, 2008

Our ward got split

We've known it was coming for a while. There's not even enough room even with the cultural hall completely full.
Still, it's a bummer.
We've lost a bunch of our Young Women. Nearly all the auxilliary presidencies are now broken up.
And a bunch of people who have become my friends, or who I wanted to be friends with, are now in the other ward.
Now, most of the families with little kids my boys' age in the ward are down in Steiner Ranch, but is about 25 minutes away. There were lots of younger families in an area of town much closer to us (like only 2 or 3 miles), but they've all been split into the other ward.
Not that I really had much of a social life before, but still.
I know it was necessary, and eventually it will be normal, but it was pretty sad at church today, everyone looking around and figuring out who won't be around anymore. I love our Gospel Doctrine teacher, and now he'll be in the other ward. My good friend Stephanie (who has been my personal chaperone ever since my sisters had to go home) is in the other ward.
Boo hoo.
The Stake President, the bishop, and the new bishop of the other ward all talked up the change, and it is true that this change represents big growth in the church in our area, and new service opportunities, both of which are very good things. But I still saw a lot of tears.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Yes, I was rather depressed yesterday and still am. I know it's a good thing, but it's still hard to handle seeing all those great friends not be in our ward any longer.

Christine said...

Man, that stinks. I'm sorry. It is great because it represents growth. But still, for all the reasons you mentioned, bummer.
My friend's ward in Dubai just split and the bishop said from the pulpit, "Split happens." Not very appropriate, but a good description of how most people feel about it initially. :)
On the upside, I bet your nursery leaders were shouting Hallelujah!