Monday, October 06, 2008

Brisingr

So how many of you have read the Eragon books? My boys LOVE them (and so do I). We listened to Eragon and Eldest almost without stopping, and Brisingr came out a couple of weeks ago.
On Friday Christopher Paolini came to Austin for a book signing, so I packed up the kids and went! The signing started at 4:00, so we got there at about 2:00 to browse the book store (it was held at a bookstore) and then be first in line. Unfortunately I didn't realize that you had to get a ticket when you bought the book, and the ticket gave you a place in line. We had bought the audio book, but not the real book yet, so when we bought it that afternoon, we were in group F. Oh well, best laid plans and all that.
Ben came down to meet us there and we went to Party City to get the boys' Halloween costumes (they've been asking me since AUGUST when they can buy them), and then got back to the bookstore at about 5:00.
There were a bunch of renaissance-fair type people milling about, and some other not-really-renaissance type people like a Centaur and a dragon. The dragon, I get (the Eragon books feature a dragon named Saphira). But renaissance people? Centaurs? Ok... Anyway, it was interesting for the boys anyway.
We finally got up to get our book signed at 7:15, so it was a long afternoon. We couldn't take pictures when we got up there to get our book signed, so I tried to grab a picture earlier. This was the best I got.


I very nicely cropped out the foreground lady's derriere. I had to snap the picture when she bent down out of the way. And yes, in case you are wondering, Christopher Paolini does look like he's about 18. He's actually 23. Eragon was published when he was 17 (!!!!!). He had been homeschooled all his life, which of course explains it. :-)
Anyway, he was very gracious and signed the book to Joseph, Brigham, and Moses.



Here are the boys in front of the dragon, which actually released real smoke out of its nose! Mosey was completely fascinated by all the different characters milling about.



Here's Mosey taking a ride on the Centaur. Alas, Mosey's eyes are closed. This centaur guy was there the whole time and I kept thinking he must be tired of standing! Actually, at one point Mosey was running behind him and I nearly yelled out to Ben to grab Mosey before he got kicked by the horse!!! I am such a doofus.

Anyway, it was fun and now we have a signed Brisingr which will one day be worth millions. :-)

No comments: