Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

Christmas Eve morning was spent cleaning up the house, putting away laundry, and other festive things.
At 11:30 we went to the mall to see The Hobbit.  There was only one other person in the theater!  I guess movie-watching isn't a popular Christmas Eve activity.
Afterward I had a bit more shopping to do by myself, and Ben took the boys to do a bit more shopping by themselves, after which we met up at the new HEB for our Shepherds Dinner shopping.
We ate salad and sushi for dinner (light eating to try and balance out all the holiday junk).
In the evening we did our usual Christmas Eve program.  The boys know most of the Christmas hymns in the hymnbook now, and I attempted to have each of them play the accompaniment on a couple of them while the rest of us sang.  However, this part of our program was decidedly underwhelming.  I do not have enthusiastic singers...  I don't know why every year I keep trying to recreate that part of my childhood.  It only makes me sad.  I got so much joy out of singing with my family growing up, and I really wish I could impart that on my own children.  The main problem I think is that I am married to someone who claims not to like Christmas music, which I find flabbergasting.  That's like not liking flowers or the smell of baking bread or sleeping in on a cold morning.  What isn't to like???  Ben comes from a nice family--how can Christmases in his childhood home have been so dysfunctional that he forever carries negative associations with Christmas music?  Or even if he does, he's now spent more Christmases apart from his childhood home than he did in it, and really he needs to move on.  :-)
ANYWAY, maybe next year.
Our Christmas pageant was sweet, though, and our Christmas Eve dance party was as entertaining as ever.  Brigham and Mosey dressed up in their soldier costumes for our usual "Parade of the Wooden Soldiers" by Harry Connick Jr., which Ben likes I think because it actually carries no reference whatsoever to Christmas. :-)
Here are some pictures:













And a segment from our dance party:


No comments: