Thursday, December 06, 2012

12/04/2012

1.  Woke up EARLY, after only a few hours of sleep (3, to be precise) to go to Ben's office for their yearly "wellness check."  Height/weight, blood pressure, blood draw.  Wish I could just have my results from July faxed over to them, but oh well.  On the way home I stopped by Walmart to get some things for scouts.

2.  Had a decently productive day of school, despite my lack of sleep.  Went to scouts in the afternoon where my great activity idea didn't go quite as well as I had envisioned.  I bought some cheap wreaths and a bunch of small ornaments, and then printed a handout for each boy about the various symbols of Christmas and what they mean.  I bought ornaments for almost all of the symbols, and the idea was that they could attach them to the wreath, and then have something they could put up in their rooms or something to remind them of how all the symbols of Christmas relate to Jesus Christ.  But it turns out little boys don't really like attaching small objects to wreaths using small pieces of wire.  Which I guess I should have anticipated.  One boy wasn't interested in putting anything at all on his wreath, and a couple of others just put a few on, and most of them weren't actually interested in decorating the wreaths beyond the bare minimum.  My friend Megan (who hosts scouts at her house) commented as we were cleaning up and putting the many unused ornaments back into bags that if it had been a group of girls the same age, they would all still be gathered around the table, every ornament would have been used up, and they would not have been mostly rushing through to get back to the real fun of jumping on the trampoline in the back yard...  I'm sure she's right.  Unfortunately, I'm not really the right leader to be in charge of a bunch of highly physical activities that the boys might like more.  :-)
However, on the way home, Mosey said, "That was a really fun activity mom, thank you!"  That made me feel a lot better.  If I'm doing it only for Mosey, it's worth it.
Here is the handout, in case anyone wants to use it for family home evening or something.


3.  For our Christmas activity tonight we watched this video:


No comments: