Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Little things

Seems we've had a rash of bad luck with little things breaking around here. It's getting annoying. Here's a list of some of the things that have broken-- this is all in the past month.

1. Ben's MP3 player (this is the 2nd one since January)
2. The gear-shift sensor thingy (don't ask me, I know nothing about cars) to the Hyundai, $200-something repair, and 2 days at the shop
3. The battery cable connector thingy to the Hyundai. $130 repair plus the hassle of taking the car in and leaving it for a day. This happened the week after the sensor thing. I sometimes suspect car places of purposely breaking things just so you have to bring them back.
4. Right front tire to the Hyundai. These tires are just over a year old.
5. CD/DVD drive to my computer. Had to go back twice to the computer repair place and try 3 different drives. There's still some weird stuff going on with it, though, and I have the sinking feeling the issue wasn't the drive at all (there goes $80), but something weird with Windows. I'm pretty sure I'll have to re-install Windows which means wiping out all my files and programs which will be a MAJOR pain in the neck. Everything's backed up by Carbonite, but still...
6. Wireless keyboard to the computer. Keys started randomly typing out letters other than their own. $48 to get a new one.
7. Garage door opener. It's not the battery, I got a new one. It just won't open and close the door anymore. Don't know how to fix that.
8. Power cord connector to the other laptop (the one we got at Christmas). We got a new powercord, it wasn't that. Apparently this model laptop commonly has this problem. We sent it to get repaired ($120) and the people have had it almost 2 weeks now. Apparently the previous owner also had this problem, and "fixed" it by soddering this box thingy to the inside of the computer, making it now almost impossible to remove.

None of these things are huge, but together they are awfully annoying. There's a bunch of other random things that are not working right (telescope, door-locking mechanism in the van, a light bulb that broke off in the socket of the ceiling fan), but I'm not counting those.
On the bright side, my camera magically "fixed itself." I don't know how, but after not working for several weeks, it suddenly started working again. And I think that would have been a more expensive fix than any of those other items on my list, so I should consider myself lucky!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hooray htat your camera fixed itself!

You had asked me about what kind of lens Kelly was getting...some kind of macro lens. It should be here today. He just got a new camera and is having fun experimenting with it.

It's frustrating when all those things break down.

Rena said...

Gabby,
My camera fixed itself too. weird huh? I thought I was doomed, but something told me to try it again, weeks after it didn't work and then miraculously it worked!