Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!








I've always liked St. Patrick's Day for the sole purpose that it involves my favorite color, green! I think it is a fun holiday. No crazy sugar consumption, no crazy spending on presents, and since we're Mormon, no crazy consumption of alcohol. Just good, green fun.
We had green scrambled eggs for breakfast (ok, those really look disgusting, but taste good!), and for dinner I did a green motif. Irish cabbage, sliced pears and kiwi, green grapes, and mint and chip ice cream and lime sherbet for desert. Oh yeah, and leftover tacos for protein. But those weren't green.
The boys and I liked the Irish cabbage. It's easy to make. Bring 15 oz. of chicken broth and 2 tspns butter to a boil, then add a head of chopped up cabbage and stir around and cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ben saw that I was chopping up cabbage and looked very skeptical. Then when I was cooking it he came in and said, "I hope you're hungry," implying I'd be the only one who ate it. He was on the phone when we started dinner, but when he came in, the boys assured him it was good. I put the TINIEST amount on his plate, and he tried one teeny tiny bite, and then put the plate in the sink and got a new plate and left the cabbage alone. Hmmm, I think I may not have the most culinarily adventurous husband in the world. Let's just hope we don't go through some hard economic times and we have to eat things like cabbage. He'd starve.
He did manage to refrain from saying "Ew, this is DISGUSTING" in front of the boys, so I give him brownie points for that. :-)

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I have the same feelings as you regarding St. Patrick's Day. Green is also my favorite color and I've always loved the day!

Bummer about the cabbage story. It was nice that Ben showed some restraint. I'd keep feeding the boys those foods because that's how people learn to like it. I think it sounds delish. You should have called..I'd help you it it.

Kelly said...

"with it"...that's what I meant to type.