Tuesday, July 31, 2012

07/30/2012

1.  It is fun coming back home and staying in the same little room I grew up in, lying in the narrow twin bed next to the same window looking at the same rose-sprigged wallpaper I looked at 25 years ago.  It's not quite so fun to lie in that bed with my 8 1/2 year old son who inexorably tosses and turns and scoots me over until I've got exactly 8 inches at the very edge of the bed to call my own.  :-)  But he sure looks angelic sleeping so peacefully in the early morning light.

2.  Today marks the first official day of our sisters reunion.  Rosalynde, Naomi, Rachel, Christine, and I (and later tonight, Eva) loaded up our stuff and headed over to the house of a friend of my mom's in La Crescenta.  Her family is out of town and they were nice enough to let us stay her for the week for free.  We brought along all the little kids (Eva and I are the only sisters currently unencumbered), leaving the older kids 5 and over in the capable hands of my mom for cousins camp.
They spent the day hiking, swimming (my mom is having a swim teacher come and teach the kids every afternoon this week), doing crafts, and having a pizza party and movie night.  They will have a blast.  It's been so cute the last couple of days seeing all of them lined up in a row in sleeping bags on the music room floor.
Mosey wasn't so sure about things at first.  He sometimes has a hard time in bigger crowds of kids, and didn't want to participate this morning.  I figured he would have a better time after I left, when he knew he had no choice but to participate and have fun, or be miserable the whole week.  Sure enough, he called tonight and said, "Mom, at first I was barely having any fun at all, but now I think it is awesome!"  My mom is awesome to take this on.

3.  My sisters and I spent the afternoon hanging out, talking, playing with the little kids.  Naomi and Rosalynde took their kids to the library story time, and later Naomi and Christine took their kids to the park.  I lounged around the house and played with babies and talked with my sisters.  I think it is awesome, too.  Especially when Christine came home with two grocery bags from Trader Joes filled with all sorts of high-calorie, yummy treats.  What the heck, I'm on vacation.  :-)

No comments: