Sunday, February 28, 2010

Losing serious privileges!

Today I was in the kitchen cooking and Joseph and Brigham were playing nearby. Brigham said to Joseph, "OK, Joseph, pretend that you're mom."
Joseph said, "OK, let me get in mom's wheelchair."
Once he was sitting in my wheelchair, Brigham said, "OK, mom, race me to the hall bathroom! I'll run and you use your wheelchair!"
Joseph was smart enough to see that that wasn't a fair fight, so he politely declined. Brigham said, "You HAVE to race me!"
"Don't you yell at your mom!" Joseph replied. "That is very disrespectful! If you yell at me again, you will have a very long time out! 10 minutes in the closet!"
Undaunted, Brigham said, "Well, I'll just run away and you won't be able to make me get in the closet!" (It's kind of funny that he said this, because of my 3 sons, Brigham is the only one who hasn't run away from me to get out of punishments.)
"If you run away from me, you will start losing some serious privileges! No more computer privileges! No more movie privileges!" (Joseph sounds very practiced in his doling out of punishments! Maybe because he's had a little experience?)
Without skipping a beat, Brigham said, "Well, I'll just run upstairs, then what will you do? You can't follow me!"
Joseph (as mom): "If you go upstairs, I'll call Dad and he'll come and put you in the closet and then you will be very sorry! You'll probably get a spanking!" (Very true, calling Dad is the ultimate threat.)

The threats started getting a little unreasonable from here on out-- involving Joseph tying Brigham up with ropes and Brigham using a knife to get free, etc. But I really got a kick out of listening to them role-play, and getting a glimpse through the window of their perception of me. I guess my threats don't fall entirely on deaf ears. :-)

No comments: