Monday, February 22, 2010

Fire ants


You know? I really, really hate these things. We were at the park a couple of days ago and some how Mosey got into a pile of fire ants. He came running to me crying that there was something in his sweater. I saw an ant on his neck and immediately pulled his sweater off of him. There were probably 20 or more of these nasty creatures inside his sweater! I made him take off his pants and undies, too (in the car), and found several inside his pants and one inside his undies. Poor boy! He got bit quite a few times. I spent 10 minutes picking ants out of his clothes, but then he was brave enough to put them back on and go out and play again.
He doesn't get quite as bad a reaction as he used to. Maybe he's built up some sort of tolerance? This kid has been bit by fire ants more than any of the rest of us.
Anyway, it doesn't seem fair that after this cooooold winter, there are still active fire ant piles! Come on, you guys? Hibernate!!

1 comment:

Mama said...

Sometimes I wonder if things like fire ants are really THAT vial to the eco-web which holds life as we know it all together.... Hopefully your snow today will kill them all off :)