Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Big project: accomplished!

I have been trying to accumulate our family's 3 month supply of every day food (AKA our own private grocery store, as the boys like to call it). Since we live in Austin and only need big coats about 2 days out of the year, we emptied our entry way coat closet (put the coats upstairs), and put some shelves in to hold cans and boxes and bags. Well, it wasn't working too well because there was a big overhead shelf across the top of the closet which meant we could only use shorter shelves underneath. We were storing our games on that big shelf.
So my goal was to get more and better shelving for the closet.
To do that, we had to get rid of that big overhead shelf.
To do that, I needed to get some shelves and put the games in my room.
To do that, I needed to organize and dispose of a couple of big boxes of outgrown clothes and other items that were currently occupying the only space in my room for a game shelf.
Then, I purchased and assembled shelves for my room, pulled down, sorted, and organized games and puzzles.



Then the boys pulled out all the accumulated food we had been storing in the closet so we could organize and inventory all of it. And then they used the boxes and cans to build an elaborate city on the floor of the playroom and entryway. Ben took out the inconvenient shelf, and removed a small door at the back of the closet. I purchased and assembled more shelves, including figuring out a rather ingenious way to safely connect and stack two smaller shelves. The boys worked as my grocery shelf stocker boys and put everything back the new shelves. I now have about twice as much shelving as I did before and we're ready to continue building our own private grocery store. Awesome!
So, what I thought would be a relatively simple project, ended up being about a month-long project since so many of those tasks needed consecutive hours to actually accomplish-- consecutive hours I only have (sometimes) on weekends.
But it finally got done tonight, after a month of trips to Walmart, trips to Target, trips to Lowes, several trips to Goodwill, and a couple of trips to the post office. Whew!



2 comments:

Mama said...

I am IMPRESSED!!! This is exactly the kind of food storage area I have always wanted to have but never did... Good for you! Lots of work, but now it's done and you will enjoy it for years to come. High fives all around!

Naomi said...

Gabrielle, that looks great. When I was dating Travis (remember him?), his mom had a similar "Private Grocery Store" in their garage, and I don't think Travis *ever* bought groveries because he would go home often enough to stock up. This really is a great feat.