Thursday, April 30, 2009

Nice people

We went to Best Buy this afternoon to get a new stereo installed in our van (a nice model with a jack for my iPod, Bluetooth enabled, and, most importantly, a remote control the boys can use in the back seat. With hand controls, I can't mess with the stereo).
The installation took an hour and a half so we walked (well, I wheeled) to the neighboring ToysRUs in the meantime.
There was hardly anyone in the store, and so we had several store employees asking us if we needed anything (no, just looking). I think we were a curiosity: me in my wheelchair, and three school-aged boys, obviously not in school.
One woman (store employee, maybe 45 years old) came over and started talking to us, asking the boys ages, commenting on three boys (!), etc. I told her the big boys were twins and she excitedly said that she is a twin, too. We parted ways for a while, but we met up with her a few minutes later in another aisle. She was wearing a back brace and, while bending down to get something, commented that she needed a new back.
Joking, I said, "I know the feeling. Can I get a new pair of legs in this store?" She commented that she has a brother who was injured in an industrial accident and was now in a $2,000 motorized wheelchair.
Anyway, suddenly she asked me, "Do you mind if I give your boys a few dollars to spend?"
I said, "That's really nice, I'm sure they would love that."
Then she pulled out $40! Two twenties. My jaw dropped and I just stammered out, "For heaven's sakes, that is so generous!"
I guess sometimes it pays (literally) to have cute boys and be in a wheelchair.
Brigham got a K'nex set, Joseph got some binoculars and a toy dragon, and Mosey got (another) Star Wars light saber.
It was really nice.
Sometimes I focus on people who are rude, or who ignore me because I'm in a wheelchair, or whatever. But some people are really, really nice.

3 comments:

Rena said...

I have never heard of someone doing that before. So nice!

Anonymous said...

It was probably the best way she spent $40 in a long time.
Kara

Kelly said...

How kind! Thanks for sharing that story, Gabby.