Monday, April 27, 2009

Spring recital

This will be a mommy-bragging post, so skip it if that annoys you.
On Saturday the big boys had their Spring recital. It was held in the chapel at the Stake Center, and there were 28 children altogether.
The boys got their songs just before Christmas, and by the time they started lessons again in January, they had the songs learned and memorized. I think their teacher was intending for it to take them a little longer! So they've had a long time to practice (and both have learned a few other songs in the mean time).
Both boys did fantastic! Brigham cares *a lot* about his performances, so I was nervous for him (I gave him lots of pep talks beforehand about how it's ok if you make a mistake, everybody does, and he knows he can play it perfectly). But he got up there and played it flawlessly.
Joseph was not nervous about his performance (at least, not until he actually went up there), and I was worried he wouldn't care enough. He's a good little player, but he can be sloppy sometimes, just not paying attention, or not caring. But he did excellently, too! He accidentally brought his music up with him (even though he's had it memorized for nearly 4 months), and spread it on the piano in front of him, but never looked at it once.
Afterwards there was cake and juice and their teacher got all the students piano medals, which was a really nice touch I thought.
Mosey made it through about 3 performances and then Ben put on a Care Bears computer game on his laptop to keep him occupied. That's a long time of being still and quiet for a 5 year old.

Here are the boys with their piano teacher:

I video'd the boys last week playing their songs, if you want to see. Neither had a perfect performance, but didn't want to re-record, so there you have it. Not bad for 6 months of lessons!

Brigham's song, "Wild Robot"


Joseph's song, "The Thing that has No Name"

4 comments:

Jill T said...

I just got caught up on your blog. Great pianists you have there! Good job boys! And I love that you always remember my kids' birthday! So nice of you!

And that's so funny you posted about your wedding and what you would do differently. We were just talking about that the other day, and I said the same thing about a photographer. I would get a different one, and not worry so much about paying more money for it. It would be worth it in the end. Although you look younger in your wedding pictures (not much though) you are just as beautiful!

Mama said...

Those Mommy-bragging posts are this grandma's FAVORITE kinds! Your boys are doing GREAT on the piano!! Both have all the hallmarks of natural musicianship -- a great sense of rhythm and playing with expression. And that was indeed very impressive for 6 months of lessons. Bravo!!! Thank you so much for taking the trouble to video their performances (even after the fact). It makes me feel a little less sad that I have to miss so much in their lives. Don't you wish we had video-taped all of your recitals? I DO! I love you all-- Mama

Rena said...

They did a great job! I am impressed. They are so handsome and big!

Kelly said...

Those two songs were so much fun to hear live at the recital and I enjoyed seeing them again here. They're off to an excellent start!