Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Another new roof



The morning after the big hail storm, dozens of these signs popped up like mushrooms on every street corner. It kind of made me laugh to think of all the roofing contractors driving around in the middle of the night, getting their signs posted before the next morning's rush hour. I wonder if they passed each other while posting their signs?
These are only some of the signs I've seen while driving around my little neighborhood. Who knew there were so many roofing companies?!
We've had a couple of roofing people come door-to-door offering free inspections and estimates, and according to them, we definitely need a new roof. I don't doubt it, since everyone I've talked to in our area who has had their insurance adjustors out has needed a new roof. Ours is coming next Wednesday, so we'll see.
The plus side is that we have homeowners insurance. The downside is that we have a 1% deductible, so we're still out about $3,000. Another upside is that we don't live in Florida, and we won't need an entirely new tile roof (which costs upwards of $25,000-$35,000). And a further upside is that now we can get a different color/style shingle, which we kind of wanted to do anyway. I'm trying to look on the positive side of things...
I'm happy for all the roofing companies who have undoubtedly seen a decline in business the last several months. They now have all the work they can handle! Let's hope we don't get another storm like that any time soon, though, because $3,000 every year will get very annoying.

2 comments:

Dan and Merideth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

Have you chosen a company yet? I still need to.