Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day 2009

Well, another Earth Day has come and gone. Sigh... How will I ever wait a whole year until the next one? :-)

Earth Day is also the birthday of my very favorite triplet nieces/nephew! Happy 5th Birthday Jane, Kate, and Zach!

The big news of the day is that Ben got Lasik surgery! He is now glasses-free. The procedure was amazingly fast, and he said he walked out of the place seeing better than he ever has. He's been excited and nervous about this for a while, so I am very happy for him. Brigham asked me in the car, "Why can't the doctors do something to fix your legs like they can fix dad's eyes?" Boy, I wish they could.

The boys had horseback riding lessons today, so in honor of Earth Day, and another bluebonnet season here in central Texas, we drove up the road a mile or two until we found a nice patch of bluebonnets. I bribed the boys with the promise of Sonic slushes and they grudgingly cooperated for about 5 minutes. Good enough.

I remember the first year doing this here in Austin, I had been home from my first MS-related hospital stay for about 3 weeks, and I was feeling amazing. I hardly had any MS symptoms at all. We were by this train track and Mosey was only 3, and suddenly I realized I didn't know where he was! I panicked, and sprinted toward the train tracks. He wasn't very close, but I scooped him up anyway and carried him back over to where the big boys and I were. Imagine that-- I *sprinted.* And actually carried my son. Not on my lap in a wheelchair.

Then last year we were at a park behind the YMCA and I was walking around with my cane. Yes, with my cane, but I was walking around. Over a big field of grass and back, and then from the car across the parking lot into another field. I couldn't do that now.

So this year's pictures are a little bittersweet for me. I parked on the side of the road, got out and walked with my crutches about 15 feet or so for these pictures, and was pretty-well beat by the time we were done. Will I even be able to take bluebonnet pictures at all next year? I hope so. But I really don't know.

Some things are better left un-pondered, I think.

How to live in the moment when you are so scared about the future? It's a constant struggle.

But it was a glorious day here. Warm, sunny, just perfect. I do love this Earth of ours.




5 comments:

Amy F said...

Beautiful pictures... they are growing up so fast.

Your sober thoughts brought some great reflections for me tonight. I love that you still exert so much effort to create special moments and memories for your family.

Happy Earth Day.

Hildie said...

That is heartwrenching to think about.

The pictures are worth ever penny of Sonic Slushees!

StrykerLOVE said...

those are great pictures - what a treasure for your boys to have those forever - to show their kids and remember those moments with you too! How lucky you are to have that talent. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this disease - life is not fair.

Lonna said...

Well your 5 minutes of pictures turned out great, we took some on Saturday afternoon, but my kids (mostly Harrison) wouldn't really work with us. So at least you will have good memories to go with the cute photos.

Anonymous said...

Gabrielle! Plant bluebonnets in your yard and ask your friends to plant some too! You can make it happen. I know that Ben AND your boys will find a way to bring the world to YOU!! It's still the world, God's creations, you can just control it a bit more.
Kara