Sunday, April 01, 2007

April 1, 2007

Hello everyone,
It was April Fools Day today, but we didn't do any tricks. Oh well, maybe next year.
We really enjoyed conference, as much as we could with three bored little boys all over the place. I really enjoyed the talks on how prayers are answered, marriage/divorce, forgiveness, and a couple others I can't think of right now. On Saturday the boys were really tired, and we tried to get them to go to sleep by going on a drive between sessions, but they were having none of that! And unfortunately I had promised them they could watch a movie and eat pizza while dad went to Priesthood session, so they were up late as well. So I was expecting the worst today, but they were actually good! Brigham and Joseph played nicely in their room all morning long, and Ben and I actually got to watch morning session in relative peace. Between session we went to the park and let the boys run around. We discovered a great method for wearing 3-year-olds out-- let the try to fly a kite! Mosey actually did pretty well, and ran around the baseball field for about a half hour straight! Joseph had brought his boomerang he bought from his school Christmas sale, and he and Ben had a good time figuring out how it worked. Afternoon session was a bit crazier, with the boys just really not wanting to leave us alone! But they were still pretty good. Afterwards we went on a hike down this beautiful trail pretty close by our house. We were really happy to discover it. We'll definitely be taking the family down there when they're here next week. My legs are doing so much better, I was able to manage the hike just fine! I've actually been able to walk without a limp over the past couple of days-- the first time in about 8 months which is so great to me.
Let me backtrack a couple of days. Thursday was a day of firsts for my boys. Brigham and Joseph bring home these little books each week to practice reading. Up until now they've needed a little help from me to get through all the words, but on Thursday night each of them were able to read the entire book all by themselves! Yay, my boys are officially readers! AND, Mosey actually said his prayer, the first time ever. We've been trying to get Mosey to say prayers and blessings on the food, but he just hasn't been interested. He'll talk my ear off all day long, but won't say a prayer! Anyway, each night we ask Mosey to say a prayer and each night he refuses, so we'll say one for him. But on Thursday night, he actually said it! Granted it sort of mixed up some prayer elements and ended in some Mosey-like silliness, but it was still really sweet. It went something like this: "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for Brigham's finger to get better, thank you for Grandpa Kent to get better, thank you for Mosey-wosey-goo-goo-ga-ga, in the name of Jesus Christ Amen! He is a funny little guy.
Of course, that good night ended up not-so-good. Brigham and Joseph were messing around after they were supposed to be in bed, and it was getting late and I was getting aggravated. After going in there a couple of times, I told them both that the next boy who got out of bed would not get to stay up the next night (Friday) to watch the movie. I was very clear about it and told them I don't care who says what or does what, each boy is responsible for himself and if either one gets up, I'll have to assume that they don't *want* to watch the movie. As I left the room I said, "I hope you will be obedient, because if you get out of bed, I'm not going to change my mind about the movie." Previously I had told them we would watch a movie on Friday night and they had been looking forward to it all week. Anyway, I went back in my room, attempting to get Mosey to sleep, and I heard some little feet pitter-pattering out in the hall. I got up and went out there, and Joseph was up. I told him I was really sad he made that choice, and that now he would not be able to watch the movie. Of course the water-works started and he was crying and crying and telling me the dog was bothering him and that Brigham was talking and that he heard a sound and so on and so on, but I held firm. I finally laid down by him until he cried himself to sleep. I felt really bad and really wanted to change my mind, but I didn't. The next day, Joseph broke down into tears probably 3 different times, but I still didn't change my mind. So on Friday night I let Brigham stay up and watch what he wanted (turned out he didn't want to watch the movie by himself, so he watched Animal Planet instead), and got Joseph and Mosey to sleep.
It rained all day Thursday and Friday so I think part of the night-time difficulties was just the fact that the boys didn't get a chance to run around and go crazy like little boys need to do. I tried to keep them busy doing fun things, but nothing really takes the place of getting outside. We were happy to see the sun again yesterday and today. On Thursday afternoon I taught the boys to sew, using large quilting needles and yarn and pieces of paper. They did a good job! We also dyed a few eggs (I only had 4 left, so not many!) since the boys are just so eager for Easter. Brigham, my little perfectionist, was really unhappy with the way his turned out, and when I told him we were all out of eggs he started crying. Poor guy. Then he started insisting that I go out and buy more eggs right NOW, which didn't happen of course, and he wasn't very happy with me. But he calmed down after a bit and I was able to get a picture of him and his imperfect egg, and he even smiled! On Friday afternoon I helped the boys used their newfound sewing skills to make sock rabbits. Brigham actually did his all by himself, with me only doing the nots on the thread, and sort of guiding him as to how to sew the ears, etc. Joseph colored his with markers, and then later didn't like it, so I threw it in the washer today and now it's white again.
Ok, so that was our weekend! I hope everyone is doing well!
I've attached some pictures of Joseph sewing, Brigham and his egg, I tried to get a picture of Mosey drawing, but as you'll see he wasn't doing pictures that day! Also the boys and their rabbits and a beautiful flower arrangement Kelly from my ward brought to me.



Aren't these pretty?


A closeup of the sock rabbits sitting in the garden waiting for the real rabbits to come and check them out.


Brigham and Joseph and their sock rabbits. Joseph has named his "Rabbiteen," sort of after the Velveteen Rabbit.


Mosey showing me his coloring. Well, actually Mosey trying to avoid the camera! Mosey is really into drawing and coloring these days!




Brigham decides perhaps his egg isn't so bad...


A Tailor in the making perhaps?

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hi Gabby! You did a great job teaching your boys how to sew. Those bunny socks turned out so precious. What a clever idea. The hike along the trails sounds like fun too.

I'm so proud of you for standing firm in your word to your son. That is the hardest thing to do, but it's how they learn. Good for you.

The flowers look so pretty and it was fun to see a picture of them. I'm so glad your legs are doing well.