Thursday, April 05, 2007

April 5, 2007

Happy Thursday night everyone,
We are getting excited around here for Mama, Daddy, Abe, Christian, and Eva to come! My boys (especially Joseph) have been asking EVERY day how many more days until Easter, because they know the day before Easter is when Grandma and Grandpa come!
I got scared this morning because the school called and Joseph had thrown up. I was thinking that maybe he had the dreaded stomach bug and I REALLY didn't want him to be sick and getting everyone else sick! But I went and picked him up and he was totally fine for the rest of the day. Joseph does this fairly often, just throws up once for no particular reason and then is fine. I felt a little bad because he had eaten tuna fish for breakfast (my boys are weird-- they just wanted tuna salad with no bread for breakfast), and I can't imagine that was particularly pleasant after being regurgitated...
So Joseph, Mosey, and I had a pretty productive day and got the van CLEAN. I took all the seats out and vacuumed out the whole thing. The boys helped me wash the inside of the windows, and scrub down the vinyl mats. Then we pulled the van out to the driveway and washed it for the first time in I don't know how long. The boys got soaking wet of course, and it was a pretty cool day outside-- around 70 I think, so poor Mosey was just shivering by the time we were done. But the van looks great so I won't be embarassed to pick up my family at the airport.
This is the silk worm time of year in Austin, I guess. Actually, I remember these little worms from California too-- they love the live oak trees. So everywhere you go you see these neon green tiny worms hanging from the trees on invisible strands of silk. When Mosey saw one for the first time it was so funny because he said, "Mom, look! The worm is floating!" And it did look like it was just floating there in the air. Anyway, the boys love these worms and "collect" them and watch them crawl around. They start out really tiny but grow to be nice and fat before metamorphosing into something-- anyone know what? There are also lots of other kinds of caterpillars around and Mosey will go outside and find one and bring it inside to show me. Brigham and Joseph are going to a butterfly farm tomorrow, so I'm sure they'll see even more of that.
I'm having fun playing with my new macro lens. It'll take some time to perfect, but meanwhile it's fun to experiment. I brought a couple of caterpillars into the house to practice on. The light wasn't good, so I had to have my aperture open up pretty wide, which with a macro lens means the depth of focus is literally only a few millimeters. I need brigher light so I can close it up and get more of the subject in focus. So I'll leave you with a few pictures I took of the silk worm, a caterpillar Mosey found, and my rings. Wow, up close I can see that my wedding ring seriously needs to be polished.
Have a fun Friday everyone.


Silk worm-- this one was probably about 3/4 inch long.


Cool caterpillar Mosey found. Look at those colors and the hairs on the bottom of it.



The ring Ben got me in Ireland last year.



My wedding ring that is looking pretty battered.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Your photos at the end of your post are always a nice, pleasant treat to view. I think you're getting good with your new lens already. Such close ups! Very nice.