Friday, April 27, 2007

April 27, 2007

Just a couple more photos from last week in the field. I wish I had some of Brigham, it would be fun to have a series of these to hang on my wall. Ah well, the travails of having kids with "Photographer's Kid Syndrome..."




Last night was so nice. Ben came home from work and told me I had the night off! So I finished the laundry I was working on, got dinner on the table for the boys, and off I went! I went to Barnes and Noble, and intended on staying only 45 minutes or so, and then going to the grocery store. But before I knew it, 4 hours had passed! Can you believe it? I walked out with "only" 4 books, but actually I'm proud of myself because at one point I had a stack of at least 20 books I was perusing. I made a long list of books I want to check out or buy used or something.

So our 10 days to retract our offer ends today, and wouldn't you know it, a house pops up this morning that is 4 bedrooms, one story, in-ground pool, in our elementary school, in the hills (which Ben likes), a decent-sized yard, and in our price range. So we'll probably go see it tonight, and I'm hoping we hate it, because I just want this decision made and over with. It is also directly across the street from someone in our ward with a son Mosey's age. It is somewhat smaller than the house we are buying, so that is a downside. Also the backyard, while it has an in-ground pool, does not have the option for a sports court or a big grass area for playing soccer, etc. I'm still thinking 85% chance we stick with the house we have the contract on, and honestly I'd be fine not even going to see this other house, but Ben wants to, and we may as well, I guess, because if it is awesome, I guess we wouldn't want to pass it up, and if it isn't, then we'll feel good knowing we made the best choice of all the options available to us.

I have a book recommendation for all of you. I just finished listening to "Long Way Gone: the story of a boy soldier." It is the memoirs of a young boy in Sierra Leone who loses his family to the war in the mid-90's and was forced into the army. It is really good. Extremely wrenching, but so important for us to realize the unbelievable blessing we have been granted living in this country. It is funny because at the same time I'm reading the memoirs of Richard Cohen, a former TV executive, married to Meredith Veiria (host of the Today Show), who has M.S. I don't necessarily think Richard Cohen is a big whiner or anything, really I don't, but I guess the contrast between reading the memoirs of this boy in Sierra Leone who was faced with the absolute worst of what this world has to offer, and the memoirs of an extremely privileged guy in the U.S. who has had to deal with a chronic illness, was very striking. Gosh, it is so very easy to lose perspective in this world.

Ok, I gotta get up off this computer chair. Mosey is sitting here climbing all over me like a monkey. He can't help but climb all over me. I try to go in the back and lay on the hammock I bought, thinking it would be so nice and relaxing, and inevitably when I do I have Mosey, and then generally one or two other boys climbing all over me and needing to get up and down, or needing ME to get up and down to look at something or solve a fight or get something or whatever. Whew! Sometimes it's just not worth trying to relax with little kids around! LOL, but really I wouldnt' have it any other way and I'll be sad when the day comes when none of my kiddos want to snuggle or wrestle with mommy anymore.

I hope you all have a great Friday. It's arbor day! Go plant a tree.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

How was the other house? I hope it helped the decision one way or another.

Thanks for the book recommendation too. It sounds good.