Friday, April 20, 2007

April 20, 2007

Hello Everyone,
Here are a few funny quotes from my boys in the past couple of days.
This is from Joseph. We went to Krispy Kreme a couple days ago, and I got a donut for each boy, and one for myself. The girl at the window got our order wrong and gave us 2 extra donuts, so I saved one for Ben, and, I'm ashamed to say, couldn't resist eating the extra one myself on the way home. Joseph, my little eagle eye, noticed that I had eaten two donuts, while he had only gotten one. Now, the phrase "It's not fair" is a bad word at our house. Not that this necessarily stops my boys from using this phrase constantly, but I guess Joseph was thinking about it at the time because he said, "It's not f..., I mean, it's not symmetrical that you got 2 donuts and I only got 1 donut!" How clever is that? He was right, it wasn't symmetrical! I told him he was very smart and that I'd get him another donut the next day, since I knew we'd be going down there again anyway. Which I did.

Ok, this is from Mosey. Yesterday the boys and I were doing errands, and Joseph was being silly and talking nonsense to me, so I was being silly back. Joseph asked me, "How do you catch a Fresca mom?" And I replied, "How should I know? I'm only mom, I only know everything!" Mosey was listening in, and he immediately said, "No, mom, you don't know everything, *I* know everything!" LOL... He certainly thinks he does!

Something else from Joseph. I've been trying to explain the concept of infinity to the boys, since Brigham and Joseph are always asking me what is the biggest number. I've tried explaining that there isn't a highest number, because no matter how big the number, you can always just add one more, and one more, and one more after that, on to forever. So Joseph has come up with his own "highest number." He calls it "Krypto." So now, when he's trying to say that there is a LOT of something, he will say, "Wow, there must be Krypto _____" whatever it is. So Brigham, skeptical of this concept, said to Joseph while we were in the car, "When we get home I want you to write the number krypto." Joseph then says, "I think it will probably take me all day and all night to write the number." So I said, "If Krypto is really the biggest number ever, then it will probably take you forever to write it, and you will never finish!" I still don't think they're quite getting the concept of infinity...

Brigham brought home one of his school papers, like he does every day, and I was looking at it last night as I was organizing papers. It was a math word problem, like they get every day. But this one I thought was particularly good. The question was this: "Alexander's mom gave him 1 n ickel and 3 pennies. How many cents did he have?" So first, Brigham writes, "3 + 5 = 8." But what makes it cool was that he went on to solve the same problem 12 other different ways!! He went on to write, "5 + 3 = 8," then both addition equations vertically, and then "8 - 5 = 3," "8 - 3 = 5," then he writes both of those subtraction equations vertically, then he draws 8 dots (each presumably representing a cent) and then "= 8," and then he writes 5 ¢ + 1¢+ 1¢ + 1¢ = 8¢ and then he writes 1P + 1P + 1P +1N = 8!
Ok, so maybe this doesn't exactly qualify him as a mathematical savant, but I still thought it was pretty cool.

All right, I'm leaving you with 3 pictures. One of the house we are buying (not a great picture but I didn't want to be too conspicuous standing out there in the road taking pictures of someone else's house!), and the other two are Brigham and Joseph sleeping this morning. They both ended up in our bed this morning. That's a little annoying, but they sure are cute!


Our new house.


Sleepy Brigham.

Sleepy Joseph.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Those are good things to post about, Gabby. I always wish I could remember the cute little things my kids say, but obviously, do not. Those were clever.

Your new house looks lovely. I'm glad you're going to be in our ward still! Yeah!