Thursday, December 30, 2010

puzzle pieces

The past four days the boys and I have been doing some big reorganization projects.  The introduction of the organ to our household has necessitated quite a lot of shifting in order to make it fit into the limited space of our house.  You know those sliding puzzles with the little numbered square pieces that can slide up or over in the frame-- there is one blank square in the frame, and somehow with that blank square, you have to move the pieces around in order to get the pieces in order?  I feel like that's been our house this last week!  In order to fit the organ into our bedroom, we had to move the big dresser.  In order to move the dresser, I had to remove all the contents of the drawers and put them in the other dresser.  In order to do that, I had to remove the contents of *that* dresser (the boys' clothes), and put them in dressers in their rooms.  In order to do that, we had to move Mosey's big white dresser up into his room, the big dresser from our room into Brigham's room, the two smaller dressers (which had to be unloaded--they were filled with my photography backdrops and such-- onto another set of shelves of which we in turn had to consolidate the contents onto some other existing shelves) from Brigham's room into Joseph's room.  In order to do *that,* we had to move the desk in Joseph's room down to our room.  In order to do that, I had to move the game shelf from one side of our room to the other. Then, in order to put up the new bookshelves into our living room, we had to unload the old bookshelves, and move those now-empty shelves up into Joseph's and Brigham's rooms, and then, of course, assemble the new bookshelves, a project which took several hours due to my limited mobility.
Anyway,  you get the picture.  I *think* we're all done now.  The boys clothes I believe are now all upstairs in their own dressers.  They are all now going to be responsible for their own laundry!  We'll see how that turns out.  The big boys are big enough to do it on their own now-- they can reach down into the washer to transfer into the dryer.  Mosey may still need some help. 
It's taking a big leap of faith for me, and a big relinquishment of my OCD tendencies (the boys folding their own clothes?!  What if they don't do it right?!).  But it will be a huge burden off my shoulders if they can take care of their own laundry.
Of course, the problem with reorganization, is that it serves to highlight how *much* more there is in our house in need of organization!  I don't go upstairs much, but I've been up there a few times over the last several days.  The bookshelves and DVD shelves in Brigham's room are in a state that is going to give me hives if I think about it too much.  The food storage in Joseph's closet is going to give me nightmares.  It's just all piled in there!  Our camping gear is randomly stacked up along the wall in Brigham's room.  It needs a home!  This is one of those times when my M.S. really, really annoys me.  I'm itching to go up there and get it all in order, but I just cannot do it. 
Still, it's pretty fun to get everything moved around and (hopefully) working well in our home.  I always think if I can get well-enough organized, my life will suddenly run like a well-oiled machine.  I'll have time to take care of all the unfinished projects in my life, AND sleep.  It probably won't work exactly like that, but it can't hurt, right?

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, that sounds like a big project I bet you are glad it's finished. Today we went through our laundry/storage room. We got rid of TONS of stuff. Jason got rid of 50+ books from in there and we got rid of lots of toys and clothes too. My van is packed and ready to go to DI. Usually I just save stuff up and wait for MS to call for a pick up, but this time it can't wait so I'm making the trip. It feels good to get SOMETHING done and getting rid of stuff feels good too.

Anonymous said...

F..old...ing...it sounds SO familiar...I just can't place it.