Wednesday, December 22, 2010

2:00 AM

The boys stayed up to watch the lunar eclipse last night.  I made the mistake and told them about it before hand.  I should have just made them go to bed and then woken them up when it started.  Lesson learned!  They went to bed at 9:00, but then they couldn't fall asleep because of the excitement (I had no idea a lunar eclipse would elicit the kind of anticipation that it did...).  *I* fell asleep, but at midnight the boys came down and woke me up.  So we watched it until it was fully dark, and then everyone went to bed.  It was going to be another 2 hours until it was visible, and clouds were passing by overhead, so there was no guarantee it would still be visible by the time the shadow moved off the moon. 
So they didn't get to bed until after 2:00.  I'm either the coolest mom for letting them do this, or the worst mom for letting them do this.  I'm not sure which.  They just *better* remember it for the rest of their lives!  :-)
They slept in until about 9:30 which is 2 hours past normal, but still not nearly enough sleep for them.  It showed, too.
Brigham was washing dishes, and had just finished with my nice frying pan and lid.  He asked me where it goes, and swung around with the pan and the lid on top of it.  As he swung around, the glass lid flew off the pan, landed on our tile floor and shattered into a million pieces.  I just sat there in shock for a second and then said, "Back carefully out of the kitchen, Brigham, and then get me the broom."  He looked pretty appalled.  After it got all cleaned up I said, "I'm not mad Brigham, as long as you can tell me what you learned from this."  He said, "I learned to be careful and to hold the pan and the lid separately."  OK, very good.  Poor kid.
Just a few minutes later, Joseph was feeding the crickets (which we keep to feed Spots, our leopard gecko).  "Somehow," without warning and for absolutely no reason, according to Joseph, the lid, containing the 4 cylinders where the crickets spend most of their time, the lid just "popped off" the cage, and landed on the floor, scattering crickets everywhere.
Sigh...
Crickets are a lot harder to clean up than broken glass, although a whole lot cheaper than that lid will end up costing (I think I'll have to buy a whole new pan).  Most of the damage was done in the playroom, which is currently covered in legos and blocks, so I couldn't even get in there and help (legos and blocks and wheelchair wheels don't mix).  I think most of the crickets were somehow rounded up, but I'm expecting to see a few hopping around for the next few days.
Anyway, they're all in bed now and I'm hoping they'll sleep in a bit again tomorrow morning. 

The eclipse *was* cool (especially since it was on the night of winter solstice--the first time this has happened since 1638--how cool is that?!), and I took a lot of pictures.  Haven't uploaded them yet, though.  I'm still recovering from the late night.  At least the next total lunar eclipse visible in North America won't be until 2014.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I wanted to see it but weather didn't cooperate here. Can't wait to see your pictures.