Thursday, September 02, 2010

Boo to Spicewood Elementary

Spicewood Elementary (the school the boys used to go to, about a quarter mile away) has a chess club that meets before school Friday mornings.  It is run by parents.  Their first meeting is tomorrow morning.
Brigham LOVES chess.  He constantly begs his brothers to play with him, but they don't like to since he is good and always wins.  :-)  One of his friends from church is in the chess club and loves it.  So, I emailed the parent who is in charge and asked if Brigham could join.  He emailed me back and told me he forwarded my email to someone at the school and she would get back to me.  This is what I got back:

"My name is ________, and I am the registrar at Spicewood Elementary.
I received the email below with your request for your son to attend Chess
Club Meetings at Spicewood Elementary. Unfortunately, we are unable to
honor your request as students must be enrolled at Spicewood in order to
attend Chess Club Meetings.
I am sorry it won't work out for your son."

Yeah, I bet she's real sorry. Because it would be such an incredible burden to let one little 9 year old play chess with the other kids. 
And there are sooooo many homeschooled kids in the elementary school boundaries that if they let Brigham in, it would surely set a precedent and the chess club would be totally overrun by those pesky homeschoolers trying to mooch off the system.
Right?
We pay our (really high) property taxes like everyone else, but I guess that's not good enough.
Jerks.

4 comments:

Rosalynde said...

So disappointing, I'm sorry! It's possible there is some kind of insurance issue. I know that, for example, I can't let non-registered girls join our Brownie meetings, no matter how innocuous and non-dangerous they seem, because they wouldn't be covered under the GS insurance and then I would be liable if some freak accident happened. So maybe it's something like that...

I wish Brigham could tutor Jack in chess! He likes to play, but he isn't very good yet and there isn't a chess club convenient. I was thinking about starting a board game club at our school, but that feels a like too much to add to my obligations right now.

barbara bledsoe said...

So sorry to hear this Gabby. He would love it. The school did send a initial letter home offering the chess club to students, but it said in big letters - there are limited openings and they kids will be picked - and there will be plenty not picked,and therefore not on the chess team.

It seems like they need to make a 2nd team if that many kids want to play. Maybe you could call back and ask them if they are going to ever have a 2nd club.
They might just need another parent to run it or something.

Sorry to hear about this. Rachael is super NOT interested in chess, so it wasn't a problem here.

Gabrielle said...

I'm glad to think that there are some reasons for their denial other than sheer meanness. :-) Still, wouldn't it have made more sense to put in one line saying "due to liability purposes..." or "there are limited openings in the club so..."
Oh, well.

Kelly said...

Gabby, I agree. The letter of denial wasn't exactly well thought out. In any case, I'm sorry. I'd be agitated too.