Monday, November 21, 2011

Squirrely 8 year olds

Today was my first day of my new calling-- teaching the 7-turning-8 class.  Since it's the end of November, most of the kids are now 8.  But wow, get eight 8 year olds together, and you have some serious squirreliness going on!  I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on for how to keep the attention of these little kids for one hour in a small room, with the irresistible temptation of other kids to poke, laugh at, and talk to.  I'm of the opinion that it really is too much to ask these kids to sit down and hold still for 3 hours of church.  Especially little boys.  So, how to give them the opportunity to get out some of their energy so they can actually focus on the lesson?  I can't really lead them on a romp around the outside of the church, so that's out.  :-)  I'm thinking about legos.  I know that my boys can pay much better attention to me when I'm reading to them when they have something to do with their hands.  Could it ever possibly work to give each child a tupperware of legos to play with during the lesson, with the warning that the first time the legos become distracting to another child, they are gone?  Or maybe little notebooks and pencils so they can draw pictures?  When I was little, I could pay much better attention if I could be drawing.  Maybe I'll let each child have the choice of sitting on the chair or sitting on the floor.  But they have to be sitting.  Maybe all of this will be one giant fiasco.  But it will be fun to see if there is something that will work!

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Having a choice of places to sit is a good idea. This was my calling after I was released from the YW presidency, and I would always put an agenda on the board so they could see what would be happening. I would also have jobs for them with a rotating job chart--so one person said opening prayer, one said closing prayer, one was the take-stuff-back-to-the-library person, one was the erase-the-chalkboard-person, one was the write-a-postcared-to-the-absent-kids person. Anyway, everyone always had a job, and they really enjoyed doing their jobs and were very protective if I ever made mistakes about the schedule. Anyway, there was a lot of squirreliness, but I did love them :).